7.27.2008

That Dreaded Milestone

Two silly monkeys lying on the bed
One fell off and bumped his head
Momma called the doctor and the doctor said,
"No more dozing while that baby's in bed!"

I knew this moment would come one day, as all moms say it will.
Carter rolled off the bed this morning. Thank goodness we were in the guestroom's bed rather than our bed because it is pretty low to the ground and the carpet is soft and forgiving.

Like every morning, Scott put Carter in bed with me for his morning feeding. Scott went into the study to work on the Sunday school lesson he was teaching today. Many times, both Carter and I will fall back asleep for another hour or so. Today, Carter rolled over to his stomach to play, and I was trying very hard to keep my eyes open. Then suddenly, "THUD!" I jumped out of bed and scooped up my sweet baby boy, apologizing over and over again. He only cried for a minute and then was fine, but I felt horrible!! The irony of the situation was that I had stayed up during the night making sure he didn't roll out of the bed. (He's been waking up for middle of the night feedings again because of the 6-month growth spurt and he fell asleep next to me after I nursed him, hence why we were sleeping upstairs in the guestroom rather than downstairs in the master bedroom.) Then I was so exhausted that I dozed off when he was in the middle of the bed with seemingly plenty of room to spare. 

So now, it's either bed rails or earlier mornings. If he keeps up the middle of the night feedings, I'm going with the bed rails!  

post signature

1 comment:

chbaker said...

Kelley, are you sure he isn't teething? IF he's eating solids he doesn't need to be eating in the middle of the night. Just a thought. I think he's working you girl.