3.15.2011

Mercies in Disguise

I just saw a facebook post by my college friend and roommate, Rebekah, about Laura Story's latest song "Blessings." She typed out just a few lyrics, and the words gripped me. I immediately went to itunes to download the song, and I've been sitting here listening to it on repeat for at least half an hour.

I feel like I've always been pretty transparent on here, for better or for worse. So I'll share that I've felt a tiny bit empty lately. Judging by the events of the last few months, I shouldn't feel this way. We moved to a beautiful new house, I landed my dream job (part-time), my relationship with my kids has become even better, my husband loves me despite my many flaws, and we all anxiously await our trip to China to make Caroline a part of our family. But while life seems good, I ache for God.

What this song made me remember is that I have been closest to God, and I've had my richest moments with Him, when I've been on my knees in pain and tears. When I'm comfortable with how everything is going, I tend to pull back and think I can do it on my own. This is very common, I know. And that's why I wanted to share this song with you. If you're going through a hard time, I hope it will be encouragement. If thinks are going well, I hope you'll be ready to embrace the next trial as a mercy in disguise. And most of all, I pray that we would just know our Lord and Savior more intimately every day.

Here are just a few of the lyrics...

"What if Your blessings come through raindrops. What if Your healing comes through tears. What if a thousand sleepless nights are what it takes to know You're near. What if trials of this life are Your mercies in disguise..." "What if my greatest disappointments.... or the aching of this life... is the revealing of a great thirst this world can't satisfy?" -Laura Story, "Blessings"

Rebekah gave birth to her 3rd son prematurely last year, almost losing her life in the process too. Mills died six weeks later. She and her husband survived devastating grief and loss, and yet they have such incredible testimonies of God's presence and healing. You can read about it here.
I certainly don't wish to pray myself into a trial. But I guess this song brought a fresh recognition of the significance of hard times, and I realize the need to to be on my knees even when I don't "have" to be.

"Blessings" to all of you....

5 comments:

Ashley said...

wow I had no idea you and Rebekah were roommates! We went on Summer project with Campus Crusade to Lake Tahoe together after our freshmen year and we got to be good friends there. We haven't really kept up but I started following/praying for her through Facebook when everything was going on with Mills.

LOVE this song too and can relate to the feeling you describe.

Look forward to hearing more about Caroline!

CMagbee said...

Kelley thank you for sharing this because it has touched me in a way that you can't imagine.

Cat said...

Kelly, just found your blog and I just wanted to say hi! Don't know how I haven't been to your blog before...we love a lot of the same blogs. Anyway, we just moved back to Birmingham after living in Miss. for 2.5 years. And, we too want to adopt from China one day! love your blog. it just made my heart smile when I was reading. Nice to "meet" you. :)
Blessings, cat (www.constantinchaos.blogspot.com)

stacci15 said...

Your posting exemplies completely the message of this song........as I sit her creating my own blog post about its impact on me, I am reminded that we all crave God......it is in happy times and even in sad ones that we should turn to HIM for support. Good luck on the adoption and God bless.

Carrie said...

Kelley,

My name is Carrie Schumpert and I live on Lookout Mountain in Georgia. I do not have a connection with you that I know of other than the verse you posted at the top of your blog.

On Tuesday of this week, I read 2 Chronicles 20 and that verse struck me more than any of the others. I was looking for the song Blessings on Itunes without knowing the name of it, and my search led me to your blog.

May God bless you this day!

Carrie Schumpert