6.19.2008

"I'm So Vain..."

This entire post is solely about me. I'm so vain...

More specifically, it's about my hair. But I had to play off the song lyrics.

So next Friday is the big day. I have a hair appt (the first in over 7 months), and I have to make a decision about whether to chop off my long locks for a more practical and manageable style. I have been debating this decision for over two months. Scott continues to say that he loves my hair any length. My mom loves my hair long, and my dad liked my style most when I had it really short in grad school. This shouldn’t be a big deal, but with the hormones that accompany the post-partum period, things can seem a bit dramatic. (Me? Dramatic?)

My family and friends know how indecisive I am, so I need your help. Here’s the deal...

I love having long hair because it makes me feel more feminine, and I joke, more glamorous. I suppose that’s because the photos you see of celebs always showcase their long, flowing hair. I have also received more compliments on my hair during the last two years of having it long than I ever had before. However, due to the thickness and strong curl in my hair, it takes me almost 45 minutes to blow dry and flat-iron it! That’s a little high-maintenance for my taste. Granted, I can usually go a couple of days before washing it again. But lately, I wake up with crimped sections of hair and have to flat-iron it again, which can’t be healthy for my already dry hair. (I had chemical straighteners done for many years, but it often leaves my hair too flat and damaged.) I feel like I waste my already-limited free time during Carter’s morning nap to fix my hair which soon ends up in a ponytail either because of the summer heat or Carter’s painful yanks. So what’s wrong with going short? If I don’t have the right cut, my hair volume can create a helmet-like do or a mushroom effect. It’s a dilemma, I know.

So, take a look at the pictures below for examples. And vote on whether I could just get a trim and keep my hair long, or whether I should cut it short.

And for your humor and my entertainment, in addition to voting, I would love to hear your thoughts/comments on the following questions:

What do you think is the age limit for wearing long hair? If 40 is the new 30, how does that affect hairstyles?

If a single woman/married woman w/out kids has a short do, it’s considered young, chic, and fresh. If a woman with children gets a short do, she caved in and got the doomed “mom cut.” What’s up with this double standard?Here's shot of me with short hair about 6 years ago.Whenever I consider chopping my hair, I look back at this photo. I like my hair in this picture. But let's face it, it only looks so good because it was styled by a hairstylist, it's loaded with hairspray, and it's a headshot. My face was airbrushed and touched up, so I don't look like this in person. (I think the photographer might have even smoothed out my crooked nose!) And I really don't want to look like a "pageant patty." But this gives you an idea of the length I am considering. I don't know what style is good for my face shape, so any suggestions are welcome.

I LOVE this hairstyle! This is one of my sorority sisters from Auburn. I scanned it in from The Glom, so the quality may be bad. Anyway, I like the cute layers and side-swept bangs. Isn't that still in? But I probably like this cut because Brooke looks gorgeous, thus making the hairstyle great. Her hair is naturally curly so it's close to the same texture. Not sure if I have the same face shape?
I have been looking at this picture for at least three months now, trying to imagine how this hairdo would look on me. Incidentally, Brooke is on the cover of this month's issue of Birmingham Magazine, as one of the city's 25 most beautiful people. So now, all hope in resembling her in the picture above seems farfetched. :)Okay, this is a good picture showing the layers I had in the fall. But my hair isn't as thick now due to my post-partum hair loss. Not sure it would look the same now that it's thinned.
Look at those gorgeous curls. This is Brooke's hair now, apparently. (I haven't seen her in years. I hope she doesn't care that I am using her as my model.) Why don't I just let my hair go curly you might ask? Well, I do. But my hair doesn't dry like this. It's so thick that it shrinks up several inches and expands like an afro. I end up resembling Shirley Temple but without the dimples and cuteness. Not to mention, I am not four.
So, please vote in the poll on the sidebar to help me make my decision, taking into account what you think looks/would look best. And you mothers out there, factor in whether style outweighs practicality or vice versa. I will appreciate your input greatly. I also am open to any comments with suggestions regarding length, style, face shape, etc. Thanks for indulging me! :)

Update.....THE VERDICT:

I chopped it.
I actually wasn't planning on getting it cut this short, but I made the mistake of saying that I didn't want my hair touching my shoulders. (I was going to compromise and have my hair hit at my collar bone.) Oh well. Fran did a great job with the cut, and it's already much easier to manage. I had no idea I would get such a great response to this post, and while the votes were not very helpful in that they were 24 to 23, practically split, I felt confident that either decision would not be a massive mistake. :) Thanks for all your votes and input!

post signature

14 comments:

Jimbo and Hayley said...

Kelly--You are beautiful either way!! But, I vote to chop it. Believe me...it makes life easier. One woman told me "the more kids you have, the shorter your hair gets". She has 5. I don't know about that...but it has helped in running after just one! Love you!

Sarah Armstrong said...

Oh how I can I can identify... :) I,too, am debating changing my hair shorter -the ponytail comment resonates strongly with me right now. And the comment about why your hair looks a certain way in your head shot cracked me up. Oh if I only looked like those headshots snow... Unlike you, I HATE myself with short hair. I just started wondering yesterday whether I could let it get long enough (then cut it short enough) to cut 10 inches for "Locks of Love" but I am not sure. I am unsure of how to vote...I love your hair long and think you look beautiful with those long layers. But, I also think the short is polished yet practical. I am not much help!!

Jess said...

What about a compromise between the two styles...you could get some length cut off the bottom but still have those fun, sassy layers of a short cut. You could have a little bit longer version of the bangs that you like. Recently, I went with long bangs that would just go behind my ear (cant stand them hanging in my eyes) Less length would make it quicker to dry but would keep from getting the "triangle hair" that curly hair can do! haha The shorter my hair is, the wider it gets! haha FUN POST!

Anna said...

I like it long!!!!!!!! But you already knew that! :)
You may find it is harder to manage with it shorter!

Prentices said...

I'm getting mine cut tomorrow - and am going for shoulder length (unless I chicken out).

Talk about vain - I'm commenting on YOUR post about ME!

Before when you talked about chopping yours off, I would've said no way. I love your hair long, and I think the length helps showcase your color. But now that I've seen it, it really is cute short too. But what about humidity? Mine always gets curlier (ie: frizzier) the shorter it is.I'd be verrrry careful with bangs. They look cute, but can be just one more thing to have to fix all the time.

I'll call you later to discuss more in depth. (Oh yes, we can go deeper!)

Anna said...

By the way, who is that Brooke girl on the cover of B'Ham Mag? She has awesome curly hair. I need to know what products she uses!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Natalie said...

1) i too have long hair now, but keep trying to decide whether or not to cut it. i always said i would have long hair when i had a baby, and when it got so thick while pregnant i loved it. which leads me to
2) now it is all falling out. like crazy. but it is still long. i am planning on keeping it that way until its cold (i need to be able to put it in a ponytail during the summer). so
3) i think you should keep it long and then maybe cut it when it gets cooler!

hope that helps! haha

Susan said...

I like it long too, Kelley!!!!! I feel like once you're a mom and you go short, it's hard to go back!?!?! It makes me think about Shelby on Steel Magnolias...remember she chopped her hair off after she had Jack Jr? (hers looked much better long!!) :)

Gina Harris said...

all I have to say is this blog just made my day reading it and cracked me up! You are too Funny KB! Ok so I just got my hair chopped to my shoulders and I have the thickest hair as well. I like your hair long, but I also think it is cute cut to the shoulders! I like the first one with your mom. It could be your summer cut like mine!! :)

Emily Chappell said...

Chop it!
You make me laugh. I love the pictures!

Katy Agnew said...

Kelly! You look gorgeous both ways... But what if you cut your hair off at the shoulder? That way you would still be able to pull it up in a ponytail if you wanted to. If you don't like it short it will be easier to grow back out and won't be as drastic as chin length. But you know how much I love short hair... :) Hope you love it either way and miss you!!

Amber said...

I think short. I am all for making it easier to fix....and 45 minutes is hard to fit in with taking care of a baby, house, dogs, etc. It will grow back too. :)

Anonymous said...

KELLEY! I LOVE IT! I'M SO JEALOUS you can do so much with your hair! It looks beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!

Susan said...

Kelley, I completely forgot to talk to you about your hair when we talked this morning - it looks beautiful!!!! Great decision!!