8.29.2008

Happy 7 Months, Carter!

Dear Carter,
Another month gone by! And what a difference several weeks make. You are officially on the move! You started crawling this month, and you're constantly on the go. No matter what toys I introduce, your attention to them typically lasts no longer than 10 minutes. I would worry about you having ADD if it weren't that you'll actually sit and watch a Baby Einstein DVD all the way through. Speaking of those videos, the Baby Bach dvd has some doll carolers that have suddenly begun to scare you. Whenever they come across the screen, you start crying. I don't blame you. They are kind of freaky with their mouths open wide and those big, beady eyes.

After 3 months, "The Good Ship Lollipop" continues to be your favorite song. It can bring a smile to your face at almost any time. One time, I even sang it 6 times in a row to keep you happy on a car ride home. When you were in my tummy, the doctor used to laugh at how active you were during every ultrasound. And when you didn't have the hiccups, you loved to kick. That's hasn't stopped now that you're in the world. You have become super squirmy when I try to change your diaper or dress you. I am not sure if it's your strength or a sense of independence that you're trying to exercise.

In clothes, you're wearing 9-12 months. I still can't convince you to keep any shoes on, so we still let you go barefoot to the church nursery (and everywhere else). I guess that will be okay until you start walking, which may not be that far off. You love to stand and play with your new Fisher Price musical activity table, but Mommy likes to stand right behind you in case you fall over. You seem to have no fear.You absolutely hate being strapped into your carseat and will often tense your whole body and push up into a standing position so that we can't get you into the straps. Since you've grown taller, you can turn your head up and look over the top of the seat to see us in the front. The first time I looked back in the mirror and saw what you were doing, I turned my head at the next traffic light and caught you staring at me. It was so cute! You seemed to think it was funny and would hide your face in the side of the seat to play peek-a-boo.

Now that you're sitting up and can get into that position by yourself, you are sometimes content to just play with your toys in your crib after awakening until we come in. You discovered that you can peek through the slats and watch the door until we come, and you find it fascinating to do so. You're now on a pretty good schedule of taking a morning and afternoon nap of 1-2 hours each. You typically sleep from 6:30 pm to 7:00 am. You eat three meals a day and have tried some new Gerber baby foods like Mango, Guava, Sweet Potato puffs, and Biter Biscuits. You are drinking four bottles a day of 5-8 oz, and you're completely weaned and on formula. That was a tough transition for me, but you're happier now that you're getting enough milk.

You have a couple of funny faces that you like to make. One, you'll squint your eyes and make a flat line with your mouth. The other, you scrunch up your nose, pucker your lips, and close your eyes. I think both expressions are variations/imitations of my faces when I'm being silly! :)
On August 1st, you swam in a pool for the first time! I knew you'd love the water, but I was surprised you did so well given that the water was a tad cold. You squealed with delight for at least 20 minutes. Mrs. Charissa caught these pictures on film.




On August 23rd, we celebrated at cousin Cece's 1st birthday party! You enjoyed watching all of the kids and even let us put a party hat on you for a few pictures. It won't be long before we're watching you eat your own first birthday cake.
While I sometimes mourn the fact that time is flying by, I am not sure I'd slow it down if I had the choice. It is so fun to watch you explore, make new discoveries, and develop new skills. In some ways, I can't wait to witness your first steps or find out what's going on in that mind of yours through your first words. I long to hear you say "mama" or "I love you." But I treasure every second of the present with you - even the tears, stinky diapers, and occasional meltdowns. I love how your eyes light up when you see your daddy. I love that you now repeat funny expressions when you get a response from us. I love to hear your giggles and receive your sweet, wet kisses. I'm even beginning to appreciate the hair pulls. :) Carter, we thank God for you every day.
Happy 7 months!

Love,
Mommy

post signature

4 comments:

Natalie said...

so wonderful! i am so pushing for bennett to crawl, just since all of his peers are (mostly younger!) but he just seems to be on his own schedule!! i should probably sit back and enjoy this non-mobile time shouldnt i??

Prentices said...

Precious boy! He is so photogenic and adorable - can't believe all those facial expressions and him peeking out from the crib! Miss you guys!

Beth Goff said...

He is precious Kelley! Isn't it amazing how quickly they change!?? I don't put shoes on Anderson much either! Hope you have a great weekend and WAR EALGE!

Paige Barnes said...

Your son is beautiful. It seems like just yesterday that my now 6 year old was just a baby. Time sure does fly! I ran across your blog and wanted to say hi. I live in Decatur, AL and am working on getting into to writing and speaking as well. I just left my full time ministry position (where I worked with young women and teens) to stay at home because my son was diagnosed with diabetes. Prayers and blessings to you, and I look forward to getting to know in the blog world!