12.10.2008

The Diagnosis

Over the last few months, we have gradually become aware that Carter has a milk allergy. Recently, he began throwing up or developing rashes if I gave him certain foods that didn't even seem to have dairy ingredients.

Then, this past Sunday, Carter had an allergic reaction in the nursery at church. Someone came to get me out of our Sunday school class. At first, I was scared to death. The man said, "We need you to come see your son. There's a doctor looking at him right now." Of course, in that short second, I had many thoughts race through my head.

Broken bone. Seizure. Head cracked open.

The man then explained that he'd had an allergic reaction. I thought, "Is he breathing?"

I literally ran to the building where the nursery is and was so grateful to see one of the volunteers holding a happy baby. While Carter had developed a rash and a VERY swollen lip (think a duck bill!), he seemed unfazed. Apparently, they had given him a cracker, just as they do every week. This time, Carter reacted.

Yesterday, we spent three hours at a pediatric allergist. After some testing, the doctor diagnosed Carter with a very strong allergy to milk, eggs, and beef, and a milder allergy to peanuts and wheat. He also has excema and will need several different creams applied 3 times a day. To say, the least, I was overwhelmed. While he is expected to outgrow these allergies between ages 5-8, this diagnosis will drastically affect our meals. Carter won't be able to just eat off our plates at restaurants. I'll have to check the label of every food he tries. He'll have special snacks at birthday parties as other kids eat pizza and cake. I will have to make an egg-free cake for his birthday. And Whole Foods will now be my primary grocery store as I will have to buy egg-free noodles, milk-free bread, and all sorts of "special" foods. Even foods such as canned soup, sausage, and baked goods have milk proteins (such as whey or casein) that can cause reactions. For example, Carter had a reaction to Gerber's turkey sticks because they had whey in them. Who knew? The doctor emphasized that I will have to become a label-reader.

Now, I realize that these allergies are not life-threatening or even very serious. They're just inconvenient. And I can't help but feel overwhelmed with all that I have to learn in the next few weeks. So, I welcome any advice or suggestions from those of you have dealt with this as well. The nurse gave me some brochures with information, resources, special cookbooks, etc. But even the selection is overwhelming. And I really don't want to spend three hours at the grocery store reading over labels. So, if you know of some good products that are milk and egg free, I'd love to hear about them.

I am thankful for a healthy son and know that these allergies do not pose a long-term problem. But please pray for my sanity as I attempt to figure this all out. :)

post signature

8 comments:

spewdfree said...

Hi
My son is allergic to soy, peanuts, eggs, wheat and dairy so I know how you feel. I started a website www.spewdfree.com to help others who suffer from food allergies. SPEWD Free has allergy friendly recipes and a food allergy blog. I hope this helps a little.
Heather

Paige Barnes said...

I am so praying for you guys. Isn't it awful when something is wrong with our babies? Since my son's (age 6) diagnosis of diabetes in June, we must read labels too. We have to count carbs and of course sugar for the most part is off limits. I am so thankful that what he has isn't worse, but it's still a struggle -everyday. Many days I just crawl to my heavenly father for some of his wisdom and mercy. May He bless you richly and may your son definitely grow out of this soon.

Kristy said...

I've learned a lot about Whole Foods and reading labels with Addison's allergies and my continued nursing. Patrick's and my eating habits have totally changed, and I really feel healthier. The first few weeks were rough, but we have made it a game, and it gets easier. Give me a call if you need encouragement or help!

chbaker said...

Kel- I have a good friend who's son is very allergic to dairy, eggs and wheat. She might be a huge help. Let me see what she says. So scary, I'll be praying for you.

Emily Chappell said...

I am SO feeling your pain. Call me and we'll discuss. I have some good breads you can try. But it is all freaking expensive.

Anonymous said...

Hi! I stumbled upon your blog and also live in Birmingham. My one year old daughter was diagnosed with several food allergies a couple of months ago. I know how overwhelming and upsetting it is! She is highly allergic to milk and eggs and less allergic to wheat and peanuts. She eats a lot of egg/wheat free noodles with butter on them (Parkay squeeze butter), lunch meats, brown rice bread, Van's waffles, yogurt made from Coconut Milk, Rice Chex, and lots of other meats, fruits and veggies. Please feel free to email me at katekthompson@yahoo.com if I can be of any help!
- Katie

Rodney and Mary Ann King said...

Hey Kelley,
I saw your blog link listed on Joy's blog, so I clicked on it. You may remember Rodney and I from COTH. Anyway, we have an 18 month old with a nut allergy and we try to keep him away from dairy and wheat also. We shop mainly at whole foods and publix in the greenwise section. You can try "Enjoy Life" products. I am almost positive they are free from all the things you listed. Our son loves their cookies, cereal bars, and bagels. We also give our son Meyenburg goat milk instead of cow's milk and he loves it.
Mary Ann King

Brittany said...

Hello!!

I am a fellow allergy mom (my 16 month old is allergic to milk, egg and peanuts)...and a friend of your cousin, Brooke Gable in KY, and I have also experienced a miscarriage in 2006. So, we are connected in more ways than one. I will be praying for you this holiday season...I know what it feels like to have empty arms.

Your little one is adorable! Aren't boys so much fun!!?!?

I have LOTS of allergy free recipes that I will send and I will help you in any way I can.

I am so glad to have other Christian moms other there to talk to about motherhood and about life.

Take Care,
Brittany Richey