11.16.2009

We got an UPDATE!!!!!

Look what we got today!!!!!!
As I've mentioned before, the orphanage/foster village where our little girl is living doesn't often provide updates. So we were totally shocked to not only get new pictures, but also to get this description:

She is very active, restless, and happy. She always smiles. She can sit very well. She can walk alone for 4 to 5 steps. She can hold the wall to stand up and walk. She knows her foster family very well. She loves her daddy and mommy. She can say baba, mama, deng (means light). She can do the action to show welcome, bye-bye, congratulations, no. She is very smart and lovely. She can make her face to be funny. She likes to push her toy car to go around. She likes to play with other children and be very friendly with other children.

To be honest, I experienced a wide range of emotions when we received this update. Part of me felt sadness when I saw her pictures, as she is no longer the 6 month old baby we've grown attached to in the referral pictures. She is now a toddler! But she is adorable! I was filled with joy and awe. We are very encouraged by the fact that she is saying words, as this indicates that the scar tissue on her tongue is not inhibiting her speech. We are shocked that she is already taking steps...developmentally on target and right where Carter was at this age. This shows that her foster family is giving her lots of attention and stimulation.

I am thankful that she seems loved and cared for. She loves her foster parents. But that also means that she will grieve deeply when we travel to pick her up. I think about Carter being taken from us - the only family he's ever known. It breaks my heart to think of the confusion and devastation he would experience. That is what our daughter will go through. And I've been praying daily that God will protect her joy and her sweet spirit. That He will give her resilience and healing. That He will bless her with a sense of peace and comfort when she is placed in our arms. Adoption experts say that children who bond and grieve are more likely to bond again than children who never attach to anyone. So in some ways, this news of Virginia Grace's love for her foster parents is positive. Scott and I are also preparing ourselves that the first few days (and even weeks) with Virginia Grace may be difficult for her.

More than anything, I was struck by the similarities between our little girl's personality and Carter's. She seems designed to fit with our family. I can't wait to see them interact and play together!

We are so thankful for this update as we wait on our next approval, the LOA. We're praying that it will come by the first week of January. (and sooner would be amazing!)

Thank you for your prayers, support, encouragement, and excitement!

Love,

12 comments:

GLS said...

So happy you guys were able to get this update. She is just precious!!! I totally understand your emotions - we should prepare ourselves for the same if we're able to get an update. All of you are in our prayers!
~Laura

Brittany said...

What a precious daughter you have!!!!! I cannot wait until she is here and we have updates from YOU!! I love the new pictures, she has grown and so has that gorgeous black hair. Isn't a bow going to look absolutely adorable!?!?!?

Praying for you along this journey to Ms. Virginia Grace......Love ya!

Unknown said...

Wow! I cried when I read this! I know you must be going through so many emotions. I will pray for her as she has to leave her foster parents and be united with you. I will pray that she will attach fast. She is absolutely beautiful! I am so excited for you! Adoption is such a wonderful thing, but it comes with much heart ache from every side. We are sending in our application today to the agency.

Courtney said...

Look at her beautiful hair! Praise the Lord Virginia Grace has already experienced so much love, she will forever remember that. I can't wait to see her in pig tails and bows that I know you already have!

Andrea Young said...

I felt your heart and emotions in this post...and I'm praying for this transition from her foster family to her forever family. And I was a little sad with you when I saw how big she had gotten!!!! We have GOT to pray for speed here!!!! I want her in your arms as soon as possible!

Katie said...

she's just absolutely PRECIOUS. if I can't wait to hug her, i don't know how you must be handling your excitement! enjoy the anticipation: she's gonna be here soon. what a blessing!

Stefanie said...

Congratulations!
Just wanted to say I recently found your blog and your family is beautiful!! Your new daughter is positively adorable, as well :)

Ashley said...

Hey Kelley, Aren't you friends with Stacey Carden? I think I met you through her and then at my store (Ashley Mac's)? Anyways, I found your blog when I was posting on Scott and Kerri Adams...I didn't know you were adopting...so exciting!!! I have a huge heart for adoption (as we hope to adopt one day..sooner than later hopefully) and loved reading your story! Congrats...she is so precious and I hope and pray you get her in your arms very soon!

Carla said...

Hi!!! I'm a fellow agency family (we're just a wee bit behind you in timeline). Our first daughter is from Kunming! We live not too far from you as well. :)

We traveled Dec 2007 for Katie, and she was 16 months at the time.

Amber said...

She is beautiful Kelley! I know you can't wait to hold her in your arms. I will pray for her transition as well. I know the Lord will prepare you and Scott! I can't wait see you all together.

Lindsey said...

Kelley, she is just PRECIOUS! What a beautiful little girl you will get to welcome into your family. Praying that the process is a quick one!

The Hamiltons said...

Happy 1st Birthday Sweet girl! I know your new family is SO eager to meet you.

With love,
The Hamiltons