5.08.2010

Thankful for Shared Paths

Emily and I knew we'd become good friends when we became acquainted and realized how much our lives have paralleled each other over the last few years. Just one of these parallels was both getting matched with our daughters last October. With the hard wait, paperwork headaches, travel issues, and intricacies of adoptive parenting, I've been thankful to have someone who is walking the same path. I am also grateful that Grace will grow up having a friend who has not only been adopted as well, but who also shares the same birth country and heritage. I can see them as 6-year-olds confiding in each other as they perhaps struggle to understand their history or rejoice in having families who love them. I can only imagine how their similarities will create a strong bond of friendship.Carter getting some love from Emily.Carter enjoyed watching the girls play on Friday. His buddy Britton (Lia Kate's big brother) was at Mother's Day Out.He finally realized that Grace and Lia Kate look somewhat similar. On Friday afternoon, he pointed at Grace, looked at me with a sly smile, and said "Lia Kate." I explained to him that the girls are both Chinese, and so they do have some similarities. It just made me laugh that he observed that. Grace is finally keeping her bows in. In fact, after her bath tonight, she handed me a bow and insisted I put it in her hair. But it's still hard to keep her bangs from slipping out of the clip and into her eyes. This week has been a bit harder in that Carter is a little less enamored with Grace and a lot more aggressive and territorial. But I've also heard that's normal behavior when a first child gains a sibling. He still lights up when he sees her in the morning, or when we pick him up from school. And there are times that he has been very patient and calm when Grace has pulled his hair or bitten his arm. It's hard to explain to a 2-year-old that his sister hasn't yet earned these actions are wrong.

Grace still loves to eat. But she's gone from eating anything before her to being a tad finicky. By the end of the day, I have no clue what to feed her! Occasionally, she just wants to hold the food or throw it to Jackson. I suppose it's comforting to simply have the food in front of her.

We got back test results this past week from a hair analysis on Carter. The lab results provide more information than a blood test. They basically show the levels of minerals in Carter's system. He pretty much was low on everything except potassium. (The kid LOVES bananas.) Let's just say that he's getting another diet overhaul. And it's got this mama overwhelmed.

More details to come on all that soon.

6 comments:

Whitney said...

Happy Mother's Day, Kelley! Jason and I have enjoyed reading every update, and I now forward them to my mom. She will ask me about it if she hasn't received one in a while. :) Your story is an inspiration; I am learning so much. Thank you, again, for sharing with us through this process. It has further opened my heart to the possibilities for Jas & I and has eased some fears. God Bless you all - four!

christindeas said...

Happy Mother's Day, Kelley! I thought of you this morning as I'm sure this is a special one for you! I've enjoyed reading your blog so much!! This week I heard a quote from a mom, "The days are long but the years are fast." As I was catching up this morning on your blog and read the post about the daily and mundane I was reminded of her words. What an investment you are making! And Virginia Grace is just too cute for words. Glad her overall report is well. Again, enjoy your special day. With much love, Christin

Ericka B. Jackson said...

Aw, poor little Carter! Allergies are no fun! I used to have to have shots/meds for them, and my baby bro had some severe allergies to several things. The good news is, I got healed and he grew out of them! As for the minerals, have you ever tried Arbonne's vitamin drink for kids? They have whole foods and no artificial sweeteners. (I thought someone told me you used to sell Arbonne, so you probably already know about it - but I thought I'd post it just in case! It's all natural but I know he has allergies to natural stuff too, so I'd be glad to look up the ingredient info for you if you're interested :)

https://www.arbonne.com/shop_online/showitem.asp?ProductId=513&menuId=237&withLinks=1

Jeremy and Michelle said...

Hey Kelley! I've been meaning to post for weeks but always get sidetracked - you know how it goes :) First, sweet Grace is just beautiful - so thankful she is home and everything went well in getting her here - I know things haven't been super easy all the time but it looks like everyone is getting adjusted well and loving being a family of 4! And lastly I would say that it is one of the HARDEST things to try to explain to a 2 year old why he can't do something and discipline for something while the younger (very close in age) sibling does it without the same discipline! I haven't really found the secret yet - just keep explaining, explaining, explaining - they understand more than I give them credit for :)
God has truly blessed you!

Kristi said...

My daughter (Piper) LOVES (obsessed is more like it) hairbows. Every morning she starts in "where da bow" until I put one in her hair. My "trick" is to pull up her hair with a small band & then put the bow in. It helps keep her bangs pulled back.

Julia said...

So glad to see Grace and Lia Kate together!