6.18.2008

What We've Been Up To

4 Month Check up
On June 5th, we visited the pediatrician for Carter's 4 month check up (a week late). He weighed in at 15 lb 15 oz and measured 25 3/4", placing him in the 75th percentile for both. He got four more shots but bounced back quickly. Good thing since we were jumping on the road for a 5 hour drive to Kentucky.
He loves the exersaucer, and it has made a huge difference in his ability to sit up. He progressed from head bobbles to steady stance in just a few days.
Cousins in Kentucky
We had a great visit in Owensboro and Scottsville and loved introducing Carter to his many relatives in the bluegrass state. Carter also saw a baby deer and horses for the first time. Scott's family gets together every June, but we hadn't made it up there since June of 2006. It was wonderful catching up with everyone, and we promised we would be back again soon! Our camera's battery died while we were there, so more pics to come as soon as we get copies. (Hint: email us your pics please!) :)
Carter and Aunt Mildred
Annis, Meyer, and CarterJoan and Mary Jane found this precious little horse for Carter. It's the first stuffed animal he has really paid attention to. He literally drools over "Big Brown."Mike and Carter rocking away.
On Our Own
We got back into town Sunday night. Sadly, Scott flew out to Denver Monday morning for the WHOLE WEEK! Carter and I made it through the week (with the help of family), but not without some lonely moments of missing "Daddy." And it wasn't really taking care of Carter on my own that was difficult. It was taking care of our two dogs along with him. It's honestly like having three children. (two of which are going through a rebellious stage)
First Solid Food!
On Monday the 9th, I fed Carter his first taste of rice cereal. He loved it! He kept sticking his tongue out for more. Because he had started waking up multiple times during the night, his doctor suggested he might not be getting enough calories and to begin gradually feeding him solids. Even more than the tasty rice cereal, Carter loved grabbing the spoon from my hand and gnawing on the rubber tip.
Introducing Formula
On Wednesday, I gave Carter his first bottle of formula. After nursing him that afternoon, he continued to fuss. I could tell he was still hungry and I suspect my milk supply was low from the traveling, lack of sleep, stress, etc. He took the bottle easily and seemed to enjoy it. I felt like I had made a wise and logical decision. However, twenty minutes later I began bawling. I suppose I felt disappointment at not being able to provide for my son. For some strange reason, I had in my head that formula is "bad." I felt like I had failed. But after talking with some of my sweet and encouraging friends, I realized that I made the right decision to meet Carter's needs. Tons of babies thrive on formula, and I certainly do not want to starve my growing boy! Oh, the power of pride and hormones! (Have I mentioned how much hair I keep losing??? It falls out by the handful!)
Father's Day
We spent a leisurely morning in bed playing with Carter. Scott continues to confirm my suspicions that he is the most amazing man I know. He is so tender with Carter and is really attentive to him and his needs. He also seeks to affirm me as a mother. It was a joy to celebrate this day with him and praise him as a father.
After church, we headed to Scott's parents' house for a delicious lunch. Sam, Scott, Carter, and Stuart

Carter wearing Uncle Stu's Boston Red Sox hat to tease Aunt JuJu. (Carter has a Yankees shirt and ballcap from Julie.)Can you see the joy on Sam's face from celebrating his first Father's Day as a grandfather?
Julie reading to Carter. This was the first day he really took notice of the books. He began grabbing the board book pages and scratching them. (He is into textures right now.)A bookworm at 4 1/2 months.

Scott's Birthday
Tomorrow is Scott's 34th birthday! (And Stu's bday too, of course.) But he got an early surprise gift. Scott's plane landed at 12:50 am last Friday night (or Saturday morning, I guess). Here's what he found in the driveway when he came home! Thanks to the family members who helped chip in. I wish I could have been awake to see Scott's face.

Scott shows Carter how to shoot some hoops.

An NBA star on the rise.

post signature

No comments: