8.05.2011

Interpretation of Dreams

Yesterday, Caroline and I discussed the potentially discouraging news that she is 97% done growing , according to doctors. And she is very petite. In the midst of the conversation, I suggested that she could pray to God for growth. In China, she often said, "When I grow up, I want to be tall." So I knew she would be brokenhearted to hear that she may only be 4'10". Since we haven't had very many discussions about God yet, I had to explain that God answers prayers and performs miracles. But sometimes He doesn't answer prayers the way we want them answered because He has a more perfect plan for our lives. However, He does care about every concern or desire of our heart. So she could pray to God, even if she wasn't sure what she believed yet, and she could tell Him her deepest desires.

This morning, she woke up and immediately wanted my attention to Google Translate. She asked whether I had ever dreamed about God. I told her that I had. And she said aloud in English, "He said.." and typed, "As long as you grow up always facing the sun." I felt goosebumps as I believe that God could very well have spoken to her. I am not sure how to interpret the dream...maybe sun was really "Son." Maybe sun was translated from "light" which is often used as a parallel to God. Either way, she seemed very encouraged.

Ironically, Carter spent last night at the lake with Grand Mary and Papa and watched "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat." If only Joseph were here now to interpet Caroline's dream! For fun, what is your interpretation of her dream? How would you understand what she heard in her sleep??

13 comments:

Cindy said...

I have been reading your blog but I have not posted much. It is such a joy to see your family of five! When I read about the dream I immediately thought it was towards the light of God. How amazing! I look forward to reading others thoughts.

Jenny said...

That dream gave me goose bumps! Such a profound statement from a young mind.

Allison said...

I don't know how to interpret it, but I think it speaks so strongly to the truth that God will meet us where we are. He met your sweet Caroline right where she was!

Ashley said...

Have you thought that it was the literal sun? I know that sounds "crazy", but that was my first thought. God has given us so many examples in his word where he has said to do something that seemed totally off to the person he was speaking to and those around that person. I will look up some specific scriptures and send them to you, but several come to mind. I just want to make sure it is the correct passage.

I can also see the connections that you made too, just when I read it, I immediately thought that it was the literal sun.

Unknown said...

I think the light could mean simply "the truth." And to me, that means Caroline should follow her heart, her instincts, her intuition, to be the truest, most authentic self she can be, and God will be with her, always. God bless you, Caroline!!

The Mom said...

My daughter had a dream about heaven when she was a little girl. I wrote the dream down exactly as she told it to me and this year, in a very difficult time in her life, I was able to remind her of the specific words that she had used to describe heaven and the presence of God. It gave her great peace. The dream is like a seed, planted in Caroline's mind as she slept. I would encourage you to write her words down and record the date and the circumstances surrounding the dream (what you had been talking about, etc). Nearly 23 years have passed since my daughter had her dream of heaven, and it is remarkable to me that the words were a great encouragement to her both then and now. Who knows all of the reasons why God spoke this word to Caroline or what the deeper meanings are, but I encourage you to share the story of Joseph with her and to make sure that she understands how special it was that the Lord spoke to her in a dream! What joy unspeakable!

Natalie said...

i want to write like seventy comment bc this kind of stuff blows my socks off!! i DEFINITELY believe God speaks to us, we just have to quiet and humble ourselves so that we can hear him {which we dont do often enough}. i just read this outloud to stephen and we were both incredibly inspired by it. i interpret it just as you do! wonderfully! {and goose-bumping-ly}

Dana and Chris Sheheane said...

ummm..i have chills! awesome!!! my immediate thought was, maybe God was telling her to always face His Son and He will give her the growth she will NEED, meaning spiritual growth. Not to say she won't grow anymore, but i took it as growth in her relationship with Christ as time goes on. amazing kelley.

Vicky said...

What an awesome dream. I just love the way God works! I immediately thought SON, true growth comes when turned to the Son!

Melanie said...

Oh! What an special dream! I interpret it as if means that she has to face the truth, the happiness and most important, the love. =)

I'm not sure I've commented much here before but I love your blog and I wanted to give my interpretation!

Laura said...

I have been reading your blog after finding it through a friend of a friend of a friend's and have been following your journey. How wonderful it is that her heart is open to hearing God!! What a beautiful and special dream. I second the advice for you both to journal about it so later you and she may look back full circle to see what amazing places following the sun (and Son) takes you both. :)

Rachel said...

I haven't commented much, but I followed your blog while you were in China. I absolutely believe she had a God-given dream. I automatically thought that "sun" meant "son" too, but it could have multiple,layered meanings. There is an incredible book by Jane Hamon called "Dreams and Visions." It really helps teach you how to interpret whether a dream or vision is God-given and what different symbols mean, etc. Anyway, it sounds like God is making himself real to your girl and that is awesome!

Kim said...

WOW. What a goose-bump story. So glad you document it! Cannot wait to see how God continues to write this story!
Love & Blessings,
Kim