7.13.2011

Angels in Construction Hats

Photo by Charissa Hanson, November 2010

We had quite a scare this morning. I was walking Carter and Grace into summer camp, and Caroline had decided to stay in the car. Holding two bags and a beach towel in one hand, I held Carter's hand with the other, and he held Grace's hand. Our trio had just taken a few steps forward to the right when I suddenly heard men yelling. Unbeknownst to be me, Grace had stumbled and fallen, letting go of her brother's hand. And when I looked back, she was on her hands and knees about a foot away from the tire of an SUV that was backing up. I lurched to grab her, and the mom suddenly saw me and braked. I was so shaken that we just bolted into the church.

When I walked back outside, I searched for the men who had yelled warnings. I finally found a group of construciton men and thanked them for alerting my attention. Whenever the 3 of us are walking in a chain, I alternately glance at the kiddos and then around us for moving vehicles. So within a couple of seconds, I would have seen Grace had fallen behind. But given that she fell so close to the car and, at the same, it was backing up, a few seconds might have been too late. I have teared up several times today thinking of what could have happened, especially given that our Sunday school class has been praying for a little girl who ran behind her father's truck last week and was run over. She was critically injured but survived and will recover in time. I thought I was being careful with all of us holding hands and moving slowly, but I realized how quickly tragedies can happen. I have given endless thanks today that my precious Grace was saved and that God used men on their work break to play a part.

Whenever close calls happen, you immediately been reevaluating your priorities. This afternoon, when Grace awoke from her nap, she crawled into my lap and cuddled with me. Periodically, she'd place her little hands on my cheeks, turn my head, and say, "Mommy look at me." For a 2 1/2-year-old, she has incredible eye contact. When she is speaking to you, she wants to have your full attention and eye contact to connect. As she looked so deeply into my eyes this afternoon, I realized she was looking for much more than a response her to exclamation about Kai-Lan's playhouse. She was saying, "Mommy, look at me. Really look at me. I am not feeling very secure right now, and I need you to reassure me."

I have honestly felt so annoyed the last couple of weeks by her constant questions, temper tantrums, sassiness, and jealousy. Today I realized that I need to get to the root of the issue and give her more attention. Simply by stopping and looking her in the eyes, I can make her feel loved and cherished. I really believe she's questioning how she fits into her momma's heart and life right now with our new addition, and I want her to know that I love her so much it hurts. It's sad that it took a nearly tragic incident to reveal all this to me, but I am thankful God knows exactly how to get our attention.

On a lighter note, I received a call from the vet surgeon this afternoon and learned that Jackson did very well in surgery today. He will spend the night there and will hopefully be able to come home with us tomorrow. This morning as we waited in the animal hospital, Jackson was shaking uncontrollably with fear. Carter, who typically antagonizes our dog, put his arms around Jackson's neck and kept saying, "It'll be okay Jackson. Don't worry." And Caroline even kept coming over to pet Jackson. He's definitely winning her over!

Thank you, thank you for all the coupon and grocery tips!!! I plan to check out all the sites tonight and make meal plans accordingly. You all are amazing!!!!!!! I think my husband is more thankful now than ever for this blog. :)

10 comments:

The Pughs said...

I have followed your blog for some time through friends. I love reading all the posts and have often prayed for your family through this transition. I just cried reading this post because I too have had an incoutner such as this. One week after losing my siter-in-law and 14 month old nephew in a tragic car accident, my 2 1/2 year old son ended up under my car while I was in it. How we don't know because he was behind me and I was stopped waiting to pull into our gargae. We do know that the Lord had His mighty hands around our son and He is the only reason we didn't have another tragic loss. It is the scariest thing I have ever been through and happend all too quickly. Each time I hold him I can't help but think of almost losing him. The Lord is so Great!

The Freemans said...

I'm so sorry about this morning. It didn't register how truly shaken up you were. Kem and I kept bombarding you with questions about Caroline and what you wanted to do was probably sit down and cry. I'm really sorry. Give Grace some big love and kisses.

e said...

Oh my heart is racing and my eyes are teary. I'm SO thankful she is ok. You are such a great mama.

park it said...

Thank G*d! that all is ok !!! I have tears just thinking about it...things happen so fast.

talking about Grace and wanting your attention- I found that when K was little and we got home from school(day care) and work - I would sit on the floor with her - she would have a light snack-and we would talk...maybe 10-15 mins - then she was good! If I didn't and jumped right into dinner/laundry etc - she was all around me - hold me this n that...amazing showing the love :-) Hope your week goes well!
Carol in FL

Joel and Lee-Anne said...

WOW Kelley....So thankful sweet Grace is OK and for those guys who "happened" to look her way.
I may have shared this before, but just inc ase I have not - before we traveled to get Norah (8/10) I did a study called "Created to Connect". I never thought most of it would apply to my kids, as it seemed so sad and (no pun intended) "foreign". However, as I have started the study all over again on my own, I am seeing Norah in every chapter.....and I wanted to strongly suggest that you start the study (and/or book). It's incredible in many ways, eye opening, encouraging, challenging and in direct correlation with God's Word and your life as you are starting this new chapter.
I know it may seem as one more expense and one more book/study to add to your list, but I guarantee you will find it helpful and applicable. :):)
Much love

Kristi said...

how scary - this is one of my biggest fears! hugs!!

Cheri said...

I cannot imagine...I fear this at all that I am backing out of our garage by myself. Thank the Lord for his precious reminders to us all.

Brooke said...

Oh my gracious. I can't even imagine how scary that must have been! I'm so grateful that you are all safe and sound!!

Katie said...

oh friend, what a blessing it is that she wasn't hurt. wow. god has his mighty hand over you and your baby today.
the first comment is from my friend in troy, alabama. not sure if you knew what happened to sweet brittany shepard pugh and her 14 month old baby boy shep in march but that family has been rocked by the loss they suffered when both mommy and baby were killed in that accident. to read that holly almost suffered what you could've suffered today is unthinkable. even when we question god and wonder how such terrible things happen to such amazing christians and families, he proves to us time and again that he does love us and is always watching over us. bless you girl.

B-Mama said...

Kelley, God bless your heart and bring peace to your mind as you process EVERYTHING you all have recently (joyfully) endured along with a scare like this. You are going in so many directions. I will pray for His Peace that passes understanding to envelope you! Praise Him for his great Mercy in protecting sweet Grace.

We were out-of-town at the end of June and I am just getting caught up on your beautiful Caroline and all the transitions you're making. God bless you all. Take everything one day at a time. You are doing brilliantly! What a blessed little girl Caroline is and v.v. Don't forget about that date night too! :)