7.27.2011

Sketches & Supper

We discover more about our new daughter every day. I noticed in China that Caroline enjoyed doodling, so we journeyed to a crafts store on Tuesday to buy some art supplies. I thought it might be therapeutic for her to draw or paint when she doesn't know how else to express her emotions. Anyway, it had been our most challenging day yet (in fact, I stomped into the store leaving her behind me, and she asked a few minutes later..."Are you not happy?" I emphatically said NO!"), but after some good honest discussions, she emerged from her room with a smile, a new attitude, and these awesome sketches! Okay, I know I'm probably biased. But the drawings of the anime characters look darn good to me!

Recently, Grace will spend as long as an hour (which equals 3 hours in toddler time) coloring, decorating paper with stickers, and streaking glitter glue across her masterpieces. She loves art! So it was precious to see a 2-year- old and a 12-year-old side by side, enjoying the same activity together. How often does that happen?

And to boot, Caroline isn't just good with a pencil. She's great with a spatula too. She whipped up this yummy dinner for us last night! Essentially, it's just eggs, green peppers, salt, and soy sauce. But it was really tasty, and she made it all by herself. She was nervous about cooking for us and even said, "You might not like this food. It's Southern after all." (meaning Southern China) I assured her that eggs and salt are favored in Southern America too. The real test was that Carter ate his entire portion! The kid typically will not even touch anything green. Unless it's a green Sour Patch Kid. But he ate every last bite of the egg and green pepper dish, which especially pleased his big sister. I really like this assistance in the kitchen deal, so I asked for an encore tonight. :) (By the way, the picture below doesn't do the eggs justice but it's the best I could do....I was hungry and didn't feel the need to evenly spread out the peppers. You get the idea.)
The last couple of days have been a real turning point. Caroline is picking up on English phrases rapidly now, and the light in her eyes is coming back more and more each day. Keep the prayers coming... God hears them and is using the petitions to bring glory to Him!

10 comments:

Jen said...

Sending my prayers and praises your way.

Jen

Prentices said...

Wow, she's an artist! I think those are really good! Love to see your girls bonding with each other (and Caroline to you). Praying for you Browns all the time!

Beth Goff said...

They are fantastic!!!!

JJ said...

awesome sketches! and yummy dinner! still praying for you all. hope to see you soon!

e said...

Brilliant idea with the art...I bet she would LOVE art therapy! I'm sure there are some great ones I Bham, lmk if you want me to dig around a little.

Elissa said...

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!

Unknown said...

She a FABULOUS artist!! She could really do something with that...

The Mom said...

Love that you are discovering something new each day, but I also know that can be exhausting. Just remember you have a lifetime to love this daughter of yours. Give yourself grace to rest and rest and rest some more. It has been a tumultuous season with a lot of change. I am thankful that you are letting her see you as you really are and she is doing the same. Know that many are praying for you.

Eileen said...

Great sketches! Our son from Kunming told our guide that his favorite foods were "duck and tomatoes fried with egg". We've done various egg dishes at home and it's definitely his favorite. We've passed on the duck!

Joel and Lee-Anne said...

Im on my way down for dinner :)