7.08.2011

Sweet Home Alabama

After 28 hours of traveling, we finally arrived at the Birmingham airport at 11:20 pm. It was a challenging journey given that I only slept one hour total during our travel, and we were so frustrated when we got skipped over in customs at the Chicago airport which led us to miss our connecting flight home. Then our re-booked flight was over an hour delayed in departure. Thankfully, the kids did pretty well. But I could tell that Caroline wasn't sure about this whole America thing. This is how the kids looked on our last flight home...
Carter would tell everyone he saw that we were going home to Alabama. When we were just 30 minutes into our van ride from Guangzhou to Hong Kong, he asked, "Are we on the other side of the world yet?"

The long flight went pretty well. Grace and Caroline had a few clashes along the way, mainly because Grace is very hot and cold with her big sister. And Caroline finally told me on the translator, "I don't like her right now." I told her that I understood and was so glad she was honest with me. I also let her know that I appreciated how patient and persistent she had been in playing with Grace despite the little princess' diva attitude.

Carter, on the other hand, absolutely adores his big sister. When we got through customs and then reached the luggage recheck point and were told we didn't have time to make our flight, I was practically begging the airline employees to let us on whether our bags made it or not. Carter burst into tears, and we didn't know the reason until later when he explained that he thought the "police officers" weren't letting Caroline through. The poor boy thought his sister wouldn't be allowed to fly to Birmingham with us, and he said, "I want her to live with us!!" For ten minutes afterward, she carried him and he kept hugging her neck, looking at her face, and hugging her tightly some more. So sweet!

The moment finally arrived to greet family and friends who had headed to the airport very late to welcome home our new daughter!
Meeting her cousins, Tate, Alex, and Mary Katherine (my cousins' kids).
Mary Katherine has been so excited to meet Caroline! They will be in the same grade together.
Caroline and Scott's mom
Caroline and Scott's dad
Caroline immediately recognized my sister, Courtney (who goes by Aunt Coco)
With my family (minus Court's husband, Ivan)
With Scott's parents. Julie was there but I don't have any pictures with her in them...sneaky Aunt JuJu! :)
So thankful to be home with out any meltdowns from the kids! They were troopers.
Caroline and Aunt Coco

I will post more pics that other people are sending me. Thanks for all your prayers for our journey home. More updated info to come tomorrow when I've had enough sleep to create coherent sentences. :)

10 comments:

Deann Scholl said...

Kelley...
WELCOME HOME!!!!!! Let me just say that you look absolutely amazing to have only had one hour of sleep in 28 hours. I know you must be so happy to be back. I am anxious to hear how Caroline likes America so far! Hope you all get some much needed rest and adjust back to life in the states. Congratulations again!!

e said...

Welcome home!!!! Carter's bond with Caroline is precious!!

Ashley said...

welcome home!!! Thanks for letting us share in your journey and looking forward to hearing how her transition goes!

Cindy said...

Yay! Welcome home! What a long trip! I love Carter's sweet heart.

Prentices said...

Aww, these made me smile! So glad ya'll FINALLY made it home. Such cute pictures of Caroline and the family, love it. Want to call, but will let you get settled in first ;). Welcome home!

Dakota3 said...

Welcome home! I checked your blog every day and thank you for posting about your trip. You have a lovely family!

Take Care,
Cindy

Katie said...

Welcome home Brown Family! So glad to know you're back!

Jennifer said...

SO glad you are home!!!!

Ben and Leah said...

So happy y'all are home safe! We can't wait to meet her. She seems so sweet! Let us know if you need anything.

Benjamin said...

Congratulations, Kelley! Thrilled for all of you-- what a blessing it has been to keep up with you and your amazing family through your blog. Thanks! Caroline Liyun is beautiful and will continue to pray for all of you. Still miss my book club friends and our mtg. times so much, though we're loving being home in SC.
Liz Jackson