7.31.2011

How to Guarantee a Big Hug from your Chinese Daughter


Present them with.....dried squid.

A very popular snack in China is dried fish/squid, and this is one of Caroline's favorites. I found some through Amazon (Amazon never fails me!) and had it shipped here. When I opened the box, I grabbed the bags and ran to Caroline because I knew she would be overjoyed to have a familiar and beloved food reach her distressed and over-American-food taste buds. She. was. ecstatic. She broke into the biggest smile I've seen in a while, and she threw her arms around me in a big hug.

It felt so good to bring her joy. I know...it was over dried squid. But I was giddy all afternoon.

The last few days have been really great, and Caroline and I have definitely had some bonding moments. I can't go into details, but let's just say that God equipped us both to face some major milestones. And I found that I may handle tween issues much better than toddler tantrums! Thank you so much for all your prayers...they are obviously working!

Our biggest challenge this weekend is staying cool. Our air conditioning is out, and the thermostat currently reads that is is 87 degrees in our house. Luckily, the unit for the kids' room is working, so we've all been sleeping in that small part of the house. But we can't hang out there 24/7. The chocolate chips in my pantry have actually melted! Hopefully we can get someone out here tomorrow. In the meantime, I'm sitting in front of a box fan and taking advantage of the situation as an excuse to be lazy and eat out. :)




6 comments:

Michelle said...

So glad Caroline seems to be adjusting well and that your relationship with her is growing quickly.

Does the heat and box fan bring back memories from third floor Dowdell??? Ugh. Hope you get the a/c repaired soon.

mbcfree said...

I've so enjoyed getting to know your sweet and blessed family. Praying for you and all your milestones!

Kim said...

So excited to hear about Mother Daughter "milestones"! Love & Blessings, Kim

Samantha said...

I know that you will laugh, but Paul and I just bought dried squid in Birmingham to carry to his Dad this past weekend. We bought it at the International Market on Carr Avenue next to Publix (behind Purple Onion) in Homewood. I just thought I would let you know where you might can find it locally. I am so glad everything is going well.

Ericka B. Jackson said...

Dried squid - ICK! But good for you for being so creative - you are such a good mom!!! Is there any kind of Asian grocery store in Birmingham? I know there are some in other parts of the country, and a lot of times they carry specialty foods like that. It might make getting special things for her even easier. Just an idea!

Ericka B. Jackson said...

Nevermind - I should read the other comments first, haha! Samantha is one step ahead of me! ;)