9.11.2011

My Lil' Ladybug

This is a post I started almost 6 months ago!! I took some new pics of Grace in this dress a few days ago, and she looks so much bigger now! My lil' ladybug is growing up. And the dress actually looks cuter now because the tutu hits above her knees.

I had bought this gray dress at Target and then embroidered the ladybug on there, thanks to the idea from my friend Ashley Johnson. Ashley made one too for her daughter, Finley, who was waiting in China at the time. Now Finley is home with her family!! :)
While I sew, smock, and embroider from time to time, I'm not one to provide lots of crafty DIY projects. But this one was too great not to share. I got lots of comments from people who thought I'd bought it at a boutique.

You can totally do this if I did! Just pick out a dress or t-shirt at Target or Walmart. Then select an image to embroider. Because ladybugs are associated with China adoptions, Ashley had picked it (and I copied). We googled ladybug images, and I loved this whimsical design. I tightened the material in an embroidery hoop. Using a fabric pen that erases itself after a few days, I drew a sketch on the material. Then I just filled in the sketch lines with french knots, using 5 strands of thread for the pink, and 4 for the black. I did the antennas with a simple backstitch. And voila! You have a precious outfit that was super cheap to make.

Here are a few more pics, mainly showcasing Grace's funny expressions more than the dress. :)



Here are a couple of (bad, blurry) pics I took the other day. What happened to her chubby little cheeks and baby legs???

Happy embroidering! Send me a pic if you decide to make one. I would love to see your creations! I think I might do a dragonfly next?

4 comments:

Prentices said...

I love it! Need to know what a "simple French knot" is before I believe I too could do that!

Haven't been in the blogosphere for weeks, out of guilt for not updating my own, so I'm catching up on all the latest Brown news now. Can't believe Caroline finished Rosetta Stone - and her poster, with written English, is amazing! Jackson...seriously. And "one day at a time" are definitely words to live by; sounds like you have so many wonderful resources and people pouring into your lives. Wish I was there!

Well, will call you this week to see if we can catch up while all the littles :) are in school. xoxo!

Debby said...

Cute ladybug......how about a pumpkin??

Katie said...

She's such a cutie! Hope we see ya'll sometime soon and get to meet Caroline.

Kelley Brown said...

Oh, I love the idea of a pumpkin! Thanks Debby! :)