7.28.2008

Too young to discipline???

To all the mothers out there,

I need advice from your experience. Carter (almost 6 months old) is growing stronger by the day, which is great...except when he decides to pinch me while I am nursing him. He grabs at my arms, legs, chest, you name it. And it HURTS! I have even had a few tiny bruises on my arms from his strong grip. So my question is, how soon should I start addressing this behavior? Is it too early to introduce "No?" Do I tap his hand when he grabs me? Do I give him a stern look? He seems too young to understand, but I also don't want to wait too long before I introduce limits to him.

What have ya'll done and/or how would you handle the situation? When do you start teaching manners??
My Little Crab
What Mom? What did I do??

ME? PINCH???

P.S. Mom, can you please fix your camera or get a new one? The pink coloring makes me look sunburned. Thanks! Love, Carter

post signature

5 comments:

elizabeth said...

I completely understand your concerns. Once David started crawling, I worried I should not let him get far because he did not seem to respond to me verbally warning him of danger. I would say David did not really start understanding NO until about 9 months....maybe a little bit earlier. In fact, I tried around 8 months I think and he would giggle with laughter as I tried to tell him NO. In my experience, "discipline" is not developmentally appropriate yet. You could try telling him NO firmly and see how he responds, but I have found it will take more time for it to be worth it/effective.
Good luck with that sweet boy!!

Prentices said...

Love his funny faces here and blog-coordinating outfit! You know I don't know the answer here either, so I'm going to read up on the comments you get!

B-Mama said...

I agree with elizabeth above that with Carter only 6mos. you probably won't get the cause-and-effect results you want from discipline. When you do start, you could try squeezing a hand and saying "no" firmly. That's how we always began with our boys, but probably not until a 10mos.+ I found the hand squeezing to be a nice way to firmly (yet gently) get their attention!

As for addressing the pinching, you could try covering your arms and any bare parts with a wrap (or something like it) to prevent him bare skin access. When he does pinch, you could take his hand and kiss it to try to make it into a silly game so that he forgets about the pinching! Just a few thoughts to try. Good luck!

Anna said...

What if you said "OUCH!" loudly?

Beth Goff said...

I would just say NO in a firm voice and see if he reacts. I do think he is still young but in a few months I think he should begin to understand. I hope it gets better... sorry! Anderson would bite me while nursing so we stopped. It hurt so bad and he is such a busy body that he would not sit still long enough to nurse enough to keep up my supply... So it could be worse! :)