2.25.2010

15 Months!

It's hard to believe that Grace is 15 months today! In some ways, I dread this monthly celebration because I don't want to miss any more of her life. But we're getting closer every day to bringing her home.

Update:
After receiving our LOA, we sent our I-800 form (petition to adopt Grace specifically) to the USCIS (branch of Homeland Security) on 1/15.  This whole process was put into place to avoid baby trafficking. 

We received approval on 2/3. (This was a bit frustrating since others who had sent their forms on 1/15 were approved days before us!) 

We got notice of our approval on 2/6.  Then our approval was sent to the US Visa Center (petition for a visa for Grace).  

Our approval was cabled to the US Consulate/Embassy in Guangzhou, China on 2/12. (Again, we were delayed on this step for no rhyme or reason.) 

We received our notice of the cable on 2/16. Our agency had to send this to our liason in China because the consulate won't process our next approval until a copy of this notice is in hand. And she couldn't drop it off at the embassy until this past Monday because the offices were closed all last week for Chinese New Year. (Let me mention that this step was JUST added on 1/15/10!  And it adds an extra week or two to the wait. Ugh!) Most of the wait is due to the US's red tape and not China's. 

What is next?
We are waiting on 2 more steps. The first is for the US Embassy in China to sign an Article 5. This is their final approval for us to adopt. We expect to have this on March 8th. Then, that form will be sent to the CCAA where they will then grant us travel approval. This can take anywhere from 1-4 weeks.

Our hopes of leaving the last week of March are fading. I have already smocked an Easter dress for Grace and hoped we would have her by April 4th. When we were first matched, many families were traveling in 4 months or a little more (or less). We will have waited 5+ months. But we're on the homestretch! :)

Please pray we have no more unnecessary delays and that we'll have our TA very soon!!

4 comments:

Beth Goff said...

Yeah!!! I'm so excited for yall! I'll pray for QUICK processing of paperwork so that she can wear her precious dress :)

Kim said...

How exciting. I know how painful the wait is but your praise filled attitude will bring His peace. Praying for quick paperwork processing. Looking forward to see her in that Easter dress!
Love & Blessings from Hong Kong,
Kim

Wife of the Pres. said...

We are on the exact same timeline almost … and the same page. :((( We had so hoped for end of March too. Not looking good …

I wanted to let you know though that we too sent our I800 in 1/15, got approval 2/2, and cabled 2/12, and letter on 2/16. So exact same except you were approved one day after us. I actually think our dates are fairly average, but I guess I might not be looking at the right stats?

Our agency doesn't share any details about our papers at Con. so I am so worried it is not all there. I really hope they dropped ours off already. Grrr … if not. I emailed them the cable letter on 2/16 and they said they could in turn send it electronic for drop-off over there.

I really hope we both get that Art. 5 VERY SOON!

BTW, our DD is from KCWI and has been home 15 months! Your DD is beautiful and of course I'm partial!

Here's hoping for us both …

Carla said...

My little Katie was 16 months and about a week when we got her, and very much a baby still. :) I remember well the agony of each month passing by and having to wait to travel.

Soon...and I'm thinking optimistically that you'll have TA and travel before Easter....you just might have to take that Easter dress with you though!