2.18.2010

Our Emergency Dr's Visit

We might as well just rename my blog "Drama Central." :)

Carter and I just got home from an emergency trip to our pediatric allergist.  As you know, Carter has food allergies to milk, eggs, and beef. Up until today, his worst reactions included hives and vomiting. But the occurrences were never really serious. (just messy)

This morning at playgroup, Carter accidentally got a hold of two cheese its. Yep, that's all. Two.
I didn't worry too much, because the small amount would typically only result in a rash. He did grab his tongue, but he otherwise seemed okay.

He fell asleep on the way home, and I got him transferred into his bed. Twenty minutes later, he woke up screaming for me, while also coughing and wheezing. I thought to myself that a cold had come on awfully quickly!

I gave him some Tylenol and placed him on my lap to watch some Pooh in the hopes he'd fall asleep again. Within 20 minutes, he was scratching at his legs. I discovered he had red welts covering his entire body, and as he turned toward me, both eyes were almost swollen shut! I also noticed he was really starting to wheeze heavily. I gave him a dose of Benadryl, and we jumped in the car to head to the allergist. This reaction was way different than any other he had had previously. Not to mention that it was delayed by 2 hours! (I have since learned that reactions can occur up to 8 hours later!)

When we got to the dr's office, they rushed us into a room. We were quickly surrounded by our dr and three nurses.  I didn't know until 15 minutes later, but his heart rate and oxygen levels were too low. One nurse was giving him an epi pen shot, one gave him more Benadryl, and another gave him two tablets to chew while the dr got his levels. We then had to hold him down, as he was so scared and hysterical from the way his body was responding (kind of a fight or flight sensation they say), while another nurse held a mask to his face to give an oxygen treatment for 5 minutes. With all the commotion and the sight of my son so distressed, tears just began streaming down my face. Carter couldn't see me because he was sitting in my lap, but I had to struggle to keep my voice steady and composed so I could talk him through it and keep him distracted by the DVD they had put on.  It was such an emotional experience!

After about 10-15 minutes, they finally got his levels back to normal. Our doctor said it was good we came in because Carter was heading in the wrong direction. They kept us there for another 45 minutes to make sure Carter didn't rebound.  He prescribed 2 epi pens for us to have now if such a severe reaction occurs again. While Carter's reactions have worsened over the last year, the doctor still thinks he will outgrow them by perhaps age 4 or 5.  That is encouraging! But what a stressful and overwhelming day! This episode also convinced me to pay attention to Carter's diet, as there really may be a tie in to his behavior given his sensitivity to foods and his allergies. 

On a positive note, ya'll must be doing some serious praying!! :)  Carter and I had a great afternoon yesterday, and he actually wanted ME to read him his bedtime story last night even when Scott was home. He's been asking me to hold him and sit with him a ton.  YAY! Thanks for walking with me through this time. I really want to respond individually to all your comments, but it might take me a few days. :)

Love to all!

6 comments:

Natalie said...

tears of happiness for you over the last part. "this too shall pass"

and bless you! and carter - whew!!! what a crazy day. so glad he is ok.

Amy said...

You need either a massage or a BIG bowl of ice cream and chick flick. God chose you to be Carter's mommy for a reason. Isn't he lucky?!!

Praying for you and your whole family!

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday Kelley! I hope you are having a great day after yesterday! Glad Carter is paying you special attention!

chbaker said...

I am so thankful everyone is a ok. So very scary. I will continue to pray for you and sweet Carter.

Somewhere In The Sun said...

SCARY!! I'm so glad he's okay!!

~Lynn

Alicia said...

Poor Carter! I'm so glad you took him to the allergist, that could have gotten really bad, really fast.