2.17.2010

Answering Some Questions

First of all, I am SO grateful for all your comments and suggestions on my post this morning. I am following up on ALL of them and making a plan. :) Your words of affirmation and encouragement had such a sweet impact on my spirit, especially after the rough morning we had.

If you'll humor me, I did want to share some of Carter's wonderful qualities because I feel like I painted such a bad picture of him. He really is a very loving kid. He is good with sharing with other kids. He likes to gives hugs (and long ones, to the dismay of some kids!). He can be very creative and funny, and he likes to pray for practically everyone he knows. Despite his behavior and rejection, he has spent many moments cuddling with me. He asks for me whenever I am not around, and he loves to sit in my lap. While our time in North Carolina was a period of constant rejection, our weekdays together now, when it's just him and me, definitely have sweet moments interspersed. The disconcerting part is how he swings from one extreme to the other, and then back, so quickly. But my son can melt my heart like I've never experienced. And his smile and laugh are contagious. I can't imagine my life without him.

A lot of you asked some questions, so I've answered them below to help with any further insight or advice. Again, thank you for taking time to share such great tips. You have no idea how helpful your comments have been!

Spoiled?
I honestly don't believe Carter is spoiled, at least by Scott and me. My dad commented last summer that we don't let our son get away with anything. I read a bunch of parenting and discipline books early on, so I have known from the start to be very firm and consistent. In fact, many of Carter's fits or bad moods are a result of us saying "No." He is very strong-willed and stubborn. So whereas many kids would become easily distracted after a few minutes, Carter will start crying again an hour later because he can't have Scott's car keys. Saying no to a request for oreos for breakfast can sometimes ruin Carter's mood for the whole morning. :) Sometimes I'll think, "Kelley, it's not really a big deal if he plays with that." But at that point it's too late to change my mind or else he'll think his whining worked.

Carter is the first grandchild on both sides, so of course he gets spoiled when in his grandparents' care. However, they are all good about not tolerating whining or tantrums. Carter has shown some perfectionist tendencies (like screaming and crying when his legos come apart), so I think this combined with his stubbornness might play a huge role in his reactions to not getting his way.

Discipline
Like Darby mentioned, talking about spanking on the internet makes me feel a little vulnerable, but here goes. We do spank using the "sad spoon." (a wooden spoon with a sad face on it) We always make sure we are calm when we spank Carter so that he knows the difference between hitting as an angry response and spanking as discipline. We ask him why he is getting spanked so he understands, and like Darby and Beth shared, this usually results in a sweet spirit afterwards. Carter will often hug me and be very calm and gentle. (And I am intentional about not spanking Carter in front of company so that I don't publicly humiliate him.) We've also found now that even the simple threat of the sad spoon can correct a situation.

We also do timeouts, and they were pretty effective until a few months ago. They don't have much impact lately. I will say that I haven't been spanking as much in the last month or so because I felt like I was spanking too much. But it IS effective. Maybe I need to have a boot camp for a couple of days where we spend all day in time out or with the sad spoon if need be. :) Any variations or specifics in how ya'll handle spanking are welcome. (Verbal attacks are not...this is a topic many people disagree on.)

Scott is great at telling Carter to apologize to me if he pushes me or is mean. We try to show him that he can't control us. Several parenting books said that kids shouldn't have the power (or the burden) of controlling parents' responses. So I've tried hard to remain calm even when I am fuming inside (with the exception of my 2 big outbursts). :) Perhaps in my efforts to be very calm, I come across as too gentle? Maybe he doesn't take me seriously because I do not appear angry? I don't know...there are definitely times where I'm sure he can at least sense my frustration. This is why I have felt like such a failure...because I am furious inside and am trying to be so calm and unmoved.

I also think I say "no" too much. One of the first parenting books I read encouraged parents to train their children in good behavior so that discipline isn't required as often. In many ways, this has worked well. By the age of 7 or 8 months, Carter knew not to touch anything on our coffee table. However, with this approach, we didn't baby proof much because we were training him to obey. Before he realized he had a choice, this was great. Now, I feel like I am saying "No" too often when things like taking out my measuring spoons shouldn't be an option anyway. (We're installing drawer and door locks this weekend.)

One more thing...we don't count to 3. We teach Carter to obey on the first command. (I can't say this lesson has been learned yet though.) :)

The "Grace Factor"
I definitely think that there has been anxiety about the adoption process, especially because of some recent delays that we experienced. And Carter is a smart kid, so I am sure he senses it. The only complication in this being the main cause is that his behavior started back in October before we were ever matched with Grace. Also, Scott is very even-keeled, and yet Carter acts out for him a lot too even though he still prefers his daddy. There's no denying though that this is a probable factor in everything. While we don't talk about Grace a whole lot with Carter, I can't underestimate how much he hears when I'm talking on the phone or to Scott.

Red 40 Dye
Thank you Darby and Beth for bringing this to my attention!! I had never heard about the effects of red dye. Here is a blurb I found when I googled it:
"Red 40 is a commonly used food coloring dye added to a variety of products. While it may make food esthetically pleasing in appearance, it can cause a negative reaction in those who consume it.

Children are most often the ones who have sensitivity to red 40, whether or not their parents have realized it or not. Reactions include temper tantrums, hyperactivity, aggressive behavior, uncontrollable crying and screaming, kicking, nervousness, dizziness, inability to concentrate and sit still among other findings. Physically you may get frequent headaches or migraines, upset stomach and feel ill after ingesting this additive. Often when Red 40 is eliminated from the child's diet a remarkable change is noticed immediately.

Red 40 is used in many food products including kool-aid, orange and other flavored sodas, cheetos and dorito chips, strawberry pop-tarts, any candy with red coloring to it including m&m's, skittles, many chewing gums, etc. Also many children's vitamins and pain relievers/cold medicine have red 40 in the ingredients."

I am going through all our food labels and trashing foods with it. Due to Carter's food allergies, red dye may definitely be playing some role in his behavior! I am going to research this more.

Holding Time
Lynn, it's so funny that you brought this up because it crossed my mind the other day! I wondered if parents could try this tactic with their bio kids. Some days I feel like Carter and I are having "attachment issues" like adopted kids do. :) I think I am going to order that book tonight. I know that there's a specific way to do this approach, so I want to be sure I do it correctly. Thanks for suggesting this book!

Well, I have lots of avenues to pursue. And I would love to hear any additional suggestions out there. I'll keep ya'll posted on how we progress. Thanks for the support and love!!

8 comments:

Ashley Matteo said...

wow you really got some good feedback. it sounds like you are really on the right track and i appreciate you sharing your strategies as well as the other suggestions because i enjoy learning from other moms in case we have to deal with this. keep up the good work and know that i will be praying

Beth Goff said...

Sounds like you are doing an amazing job and I believe God will use you in amazing ways with other parents who will go through the same thing with their children!! I will pray for strength for you as you are searching for answers!

I totally understand what you mean by saying no too much. I think I tend to do that so "no" does not mean that much! I need to work on this!

Please post your progress and I am looking forward to all God is doing to do!

Sara Scheu said...

Thank you for being so open and vulnerable, Kelley! I'm thankful for your honesty, and I know it's not easy to share all of this. Thinking of you and praying for all of you! God is so much bigger than all of this... not that you don't know this, but He definitely is at work. He has certainly ordained this, has prepared you for it and is walking with you through it.

Mary Lynn said...

Kelley,
I know that these past few months have been so hard on you, but you have to believe that you are a wonderful mother. I am proud of the way you and Scott are raising Carter. Yes, you do discipline Carter, but you do it in a loving way. And one thing I have noticed is that both you and Scott try to explain to Carter what it is that he is doing wrong or what he can't have, etc., rather than just using the word "no".
I love you so much and will continue to pray for all of you.
Mom

Natalie said...

kelley - as joy said i hesitated to even comment bc i feel like anything i have to say wouldnt mean anything or help in any way! but it has been weighing on my heart the past couple days and i wanted you to know that you and carter and scott have been in my constant thoughts and prayers.
i know you arent looking for pats on the back but just the fact that you care as much as you do and are trying as hard as you are proves what an incredible momma you are. and i love and respect your willingness to put it all "out there."
its true that some children are just more strong-willed than others. some respond to spanking or the threat of it, others respond to time outs, and still others dont seem to respond to anything. bennett does seem to respond to time out but doesnt budge to spanking. he gets his feelings hurt more than anything.
i also agree with the saying "no" too much. i feel like i do the same thing and now bennett has just started saying "NO momma/daddy" to us way too often and its hard to fight back with another "NO".
bennett also started pushing us while saying "push!". all i can do is grab his hands and sternly look him in the eyes and say "no sir bennett we do not push." sometimes just being extra stern grabs their attention. this journey is definitely an exhausting one, but i have complete faith that with your roots planted deep and your branches reaching high you are already leaps and bounds beyond most others.
this may seem petty but have you thought of "taking a break"? like maybe having a girls weekend? or a couple days away with a close friend/family member? sometimes that all it takes to clear your mind, renew your spirit, and remind carter what a lucky little boy he is ;) staying home with bennett every day is the greatest blessing but we do "get enough" of each other from time to time and i think we both greatly benefit from time away {more than just the four hours twice a week at MDO} :). its so hard to be your best mom when you arent at your best...know what i mean?
i really want to hear about the red dye thing!!! that sounds so possible since carter already has bad food alergies!!!

love you kelley -
xo
nat

ps. on a completely unrelated note i love the blog design! dang google reader - i miss seeing everyone's blogs :)

Lindsey said...

I don't really have any advice, Kelley. The few things I would suggest you're already doing. But, I will join the others and will be praying for this specific stage of life in your family. Thanks for being so real!

Somewhere In The Sun said...

I think that the biggest thing going for your family is that you are a mom who recognizes your child's needs and is searching for answers! So many of us mom's can easily try to explain away behaviors rather than confront them. I believe with all my heart that you will find the answers. And what a blessing to be figuring this out before Grace comes home.

~Lynn
p.s. Bio kids certainly can have attachment issues. Not saying that's the case here but it does happen. Either way, Holding Time can help!

Ericka B. Jackson said...

Gosh I learn SO much from you Mommy Bloggers! I'd never heard of the red dye thing...I should be taking notes on all this stuff before we have kids!

Glad some people had good advice for you - isn't community GREAT? I love seeing the body of Christ come together to help each other...I guess it's true what they say, "it takes a whole village to raise a child" ;)

This may sound crazy, charismatic, etc to you... but we have friends who used to 'discipline' their children while they slept. (I know, I know, sounds insane- I thought they were NUTS when they told us, but I thought I'd share THEIR ideas with you just in case you were interested). He is a pastor & missionary, and says that our SPIRITS never sleep. (in scripture we have flesh and spirit - so the flesh sleeps but the spirit doesn't...just as the flesh will die but the spirit won't). So he used to go in while his children were sleeping and 1- pray over them, 2- correct behavior. (ie- you will NOT be disrespectful to your mother anymore. I rebuke that behavior and its hold on your life in Jesus' name, and break any power it has over you. You WILL exhibit the fruits of the spirit, gentleness, kindness, etc). Again - forgive me if you think this is CRAZY but maybe it's worth a try? I think there's so much we often overlook in the spiritual realm because it's 2010 and we like to have a logical/medical answer to everything.