12.20.2009

Happy Birthday Jesus!

A Christmas memory I have from childhood is my aunt baking a chocolate birthday cake for Jesus. That moment has always stuck with me, and so when my friend Susan had the idea of doing a birthday party for Jesus, I was so excited. We ended up hosting since Susan was sick the few days before.
We got all the kids together...ate pizza (and don't worry, Carter didn't mind missing out on the pizza as you can tell from his bbq sauce-covered face) blew out the candle amongst cookies (Susan wasn't feeling well so we decided cookies were easier than cake), read a story about Jesus' birth, and let the kids open gifts for Jesus that are being given to our local Sav-A-Life center. When I placed the gift from Carter under the tree, he started to pick it up. I told him it was for baby Jesus. He ran over to our Fisher Price Advent calendar, pulled out the mini baby Jesus, and ran over to lay Him on the gift. :)It was a blast...here are some cute pictures and some adorable quotes from last night. :)
Davis
CollinHope: "Mommy, where is Jesus? He needs to come to his own birthday party!"Kaitlyn: Pointing to Amy's 4 month old son, Collin, she asked "Is that baby Jesus?" Travis: "Happy birthday BABY JEEEEESUS!!!!!!!" He was super pumped about singing happy birthday.Ben: He got baby Jesus out of the manger and carried him around. He seemed very pleased that he was the one getting to hold Him. :)Susan did such a great job planning the party. She brought plates...party blowers... baby Jesus in a manger... :) and even balloons and decorations.

The guys managed to escape almost all the pictures. Here's a few of the girls..

Anna holding Collin.
Anna (most sought after bachelorette in Birmingham), Susan (mom to Kaitlyn and Davis), me (mom to Carter), Amy (mom to Travis and Collin), Stacey C. (mom to Hope), and Stacey P. (mom to Ben)
We're not sure the kiddos completely understood the whole birthday deal and why Jesus wasn't physically there. :) But they all loved saying His name and celebrating Him, and I guess that's a first step in knowing Him and learning the meaning of Christmas.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Such a fun idea! Maybe next year. I am still tired from planning Mary Taylor's birthday! I think I am going to make a birthday cake for Jesus on Christmas day! It think it is such a great tradition to start. I love reading your blog!! Carter is just precious!