5.26.2010

Language According to Carter and Grace

"Sure"
Who: Carter
Sounds like: Sure??? (as if he's asking a question)
Context: Ones in which "Sure" would usually be interpreted as "if you say so." :)
Example: Carter, who did you play with last week?
Alex, Tate, Cece...
And did you play with Graham?
Sure??
Another example...
I did shoes ALL by myself.
You did?
Sure??

This past weekend, Scott and I were organizing toys into bins so we can rotate them in and out every week. When we came back into the hall, we found both kids like this.
All squished in together but getting along amazingly.
Of course, it lasted all of 2 minutes.

"Uh-oh, uh-oh"
Who: Grace
Sounds like: a lower octave on each subsequent uh-oh
Context: Whenever she drops something. Or whenever anyone drops something. And sometimes I do it on purpose just to hear her say it.

"All my friends went bye bye."
Who: Carter
Context: On his last day of school. And the conversation went like this..
Carter, did you have a good last day of school?
Mmm hmmm
What did you do?
Read book
You read a book?
Sure?
What else?
All my friends went bye bye.
Did you say all your friends went bye bye?
Sure??
Well, you'll see them again. It's okay.

"Hotttt!"
Who: Grace
Context: When she felt how warm the corn was at dinner. Now, she says that when I give her a warm bottle. Or when we get in the car in 90 degree weather.
Besides "hi" and "bye," this is really her first English word she's used on her own.

By the way, this sweet dress was hand-embroidered by my friend Abby and given to us as a gift. Isn't it precious??
Her little business is called The Flossy Finch, and you can order something yourself at www.abbymaddox.etsy.com
"Come with me!"
Who: Carter
Sounds like: Come WITH me. (Emphasis always on "with.")
Context: Someone is taking Jackson out and Carter wants to go too. Instead of saying "come with you," he says "come with me." I just love how he puts the emphasis on with.
Hanging out with Daddy
"Ahh! Goi guh hek ty na na poosh!!! HAA!!!"
Who: Grace
Sounds like: what it looks like
Context: When Jackson jumps up and takes Grace's cracker.

~Silence~
Who: Carter and Grace
Sounds like: heaven
Context: When both kids are asleep. Or... simultaneously pooping. And yes, this happened yesterday.

6 comments:

Courtney said...

Oh, I am laughing out loud. :) This just made my day! Loved seeing ya'll last night...hope to play again very soon! Love ya'll - Aunt CoCo

Natalie said...

hahahahahahaha love these!

Unknown said...

So cute! And, I LOVE the embroidered dress or top. So beautiful!
Kelly

The Hoppers said...

Made me laugh!!!!!! Love it! I totally understand about the simultaneous pooping. When it happens here, there is usually a blowout, so a bath is usually involved too. 'Cause who likes poop up their backs?:)

Beth Goff said...

I love the dress Abby made! So precious!!!

Abby Maddox said...

I am so relieved it fits! I was stitching away and praying for a baby girl so FAR away in China...what a joy it is to actually see it on her little body.