5.18.2010

Say What???

Whew! It's been a long morning for Grace. And her mama. We just spent 2 1/2 hours at the ENT, and Grace's eyes slid shut the moment I strapped her into her carseat.

Dr. Chambers at the Adoption Clinic referred us to a pediatric ENT to look at Grace's tongue where the tumor had been removed. By the time we saw Dr. Woolley today, Grace was so tired and hysterical (and understandably so after having her ears poked and prodded) that he couldn't really get a good look at her tongue.

The first two hours of the visit involved a routine hearing test where we learned that Virginia Grace has some hearing loss. Given that she responds to my voice and even my whisper and mimics words, I had NO clue she had anything wrong with her ears. The loss is mainly in the right ear, and it's most likely due to multiple ear infections while in China. Most Asian kids are susceptible to ear infections. Untreated ones can lead to hearing loss.

The great news is that what's been lost can be regained. Grace is scheduled for tubes to be put in both ears next Thursday. Once they clean out her ears and get all the fluid out, and after the tubes are embedded, her hearing should improve.

While she's asleep for the surgery, Dr. Woolley said he'd be able to get a good look at Grace's tongue. He said that while most teratomas are benign (and hers was said to be), they can turn malignant. So it's important to be sure all of the teratoma was removed, or that it hasn't returned. (He was actually the ENT to review our daughter's referral back in October.)

He didn't really give any more information than that in the room. But I did hear him dictate to his recorder that there was a "definite mass" when he was in the hallway. I'm not worried yet. The mass could simply be scar tissue. But nevertheless, keep her in your prayers as we wait to get an assessment.

I'm ready for a nap now too. :)

11 comments:

Whitney said...

Kelley,
I will be thinking about you and praying all is well when Dr. Woolley gets a good look at Grace's tongue. I am sure the tubes will really make a difference in her hearing too. Fearing had them put in back in February and I think it is harder on momma than baby! She is such a beautiful little girl and I have loved keeping up with your journey to bring her home. P.s. Love the pictures of Grace and Carter together- what precious memories they are making together!

natali said...

praying for sweet little Grace:))

Design A-Peele said...

wow. I will definitely be praying for Grace!

Ashley said...

Praying for you guys.

We are moving to Auburn this summer and will have to see a pediatric cardiologist in Birmingham for our daughter. I hear they have some really great doctors there.

Somewhere In The Sun said...

I'll be praying. I'm so glad to know that her hearing will come back.
She looks so precious while she's sleeping. Olivia has the same bedding!

~Lynn

j i l l said...

I feel your pain quite literally. We spent yesterday afternoon at the ENT and have tubes/adenoids scheduled for Tuesday. Bradley has some hearing loss like Grace does, but they assured me it's probably from the fluid in his ears. Let's chat about this soon. Praying for Grace and YOU. You better be napping! :)

Unknown said...

That sweet little baby. I know those days are exhausting. We have our audiology appt. in 2 weeks. I didn't know how much they could really tell for a little one. Glad to hear that it will all be resolved very soon and won't interfere with her language acquisition. Putting her surgery on my calendar now so I remember to pray.
Kelly

Deann Scholl said...

You will be in great hands with Dr. Woolley!! We use the same practice and my son is actually scheduled for sinus surgery in July with the group. I will keep that sweet angel in my prayers as well as you and her daddy. I have done tubes twice and adenoids with both of my children and no matter what, I am still nervous each time. May God give you the comfort that you need. I pray that he will get a good look at her tongue and that everything will be okay.

JJ said...

Hey Kelley! Praying for Grace. Please contact my mom if you need anything! Love ya!

park it said...

Hi Kelly,
I wanted to share my daughter's story about hearing and tubes...
K came home at 14 mths old - she had - had many ear infections in China and everytime she got a cold - when she started talking - one of her favorite things is(still is) fish - she wuld say the word ASHhhh (not ash like in a fireplace - ahhhh like opening your mouth for the dr...) Anyway - the ent had her hearing testing and at that age was very hard to tell - as she too reacted to wispers etc...once the tubes were placed - before she was 2 - within 2 weeks she started saying FISH - amazing to hear the difference - one thing he suggested was lay with your ears under water in the tub-say the word FISH - you will hear ashhhhh - so maybe she has a word that sounds unique (I know she has been home a short while)-but it was amazing to hear the difference! Best wishes and prayers for Grace (my daughter's middle name too.
Carol in FL
ps if you need to reach me - post to the comments section and it will email me...

Kim said...

Covering Grace in prayer from Hong Kong. Hope you are both resting soundly.
Love & Blessings,
Kim
P.S. That photo of her napping is precious!