2.12.2008

New Discoveries

Today, Carter is 2 weeks old! And sadly, it's been an entire week since I have posted any pictures or notes. I am so sorry. Who knew time could fly by so quickly when you're at home all day???

Carter continues to be a very sweet and calm baby. I know that he could change any day, but we are thankful for his mild temperament, however long it lasts. I haven't had much time to write, but below are some reflections from my first two weeks of motherhood. I am sure these ten aspects will change and evolve as Carter grows and new challenges arise. To all of you who are parents, feel free to post any words of wisdom from your own experiences! :)

5 Aspects of Parenthood I Love Most:

1. Locking eyes with my son and sensing he knows who I am
2. Seeing my husband as a devoted, gentle, and nurturing father
3. Reveling in the miraculous fact that I am able to sustain another life solely through my own body's provisions
4. Finding joy and wonder in simple moments and milestones
5. Realizing that I am capable of putting another's needs (even basic ones such as eating) before my own...and that I enjoy it.


5 Biggest Challenges (So Far) of Parenthood:
1. Keeping my priorities in line - God first, my husband second, Carter third, and so on. It's very easy to let Carter take the top spot.
2. Sleeping in 2-3 hours shifts
3. Getting personal things done (i.e. reading, returning emails and calls, running errands, blogging, etc.)
4. Spending quality time with Scott
5. Resuming any sense of normalcy (or, I suppose, establishing the "new" sense of normalcy)


A few pictures from the past week:

Carter finds his thumb for the first time!

You wouldn't know it from this picture, but Carter really likes bathtime.
He loves to sleep with his arms above his head, just like his mommy.

Must be having sweet dreams.

Carter's 1st Kiss: When he's hungry, he likes to "kiss" mommy's or daddy's cheeks. My mom caught this on camera the other day when he kept pecking me. :)

Aunt Julie smocked this gorgeous day gown for her nephew.

Just don't call it a dress in front of Scott. :)


Since my post last week, we visited the pediatrician for Carter's 1 week check up. He had regained his birth weight plus a few ounces and grew 1/2 inch. During the last few days, his newborn clothes have begun to look small on him, so he must be steadily growing!

Thanks for checking in on us!


post signature

3 comments:

Emily Chappell said...

Oh Kelley, he is so precious! You are looking good, too, by the way. :)

Mitch and Kristen said...

He is so cute! I love the pictures.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kelley! It's Pauline Lipscomb from Dr. Brown's office! Cheryl sent me a link to the blog and I have enjoyed reading it and looking at all of the precious pictures! What a lucky little boy he is to be born into so much love from such wonderful parents and such wonderful families! Take care!