4.26.2010

We Did Well Until Bathtime...

...and then Carter split his chin open on the bathtub. Yes, I get an "F" for my first day on my own as a mom of two.

It wasn't even a chaotic moment. I wasn't being pulled in two different directions. Grace and I were simply sitting on the bathroom floor while Carter took a bath. He kept standing up and marching around the tub, and I continually told him he might slip and hit his head. I actually said that he could knock his teeth out, and Carter thought that was funny. Then, the irony of it all, is that as he stepped forward for me to get him out, he slipped and slammed his chin on the side of the tub. Blood began dripping from his chin (which confused me at first because I assumed he had hurt his tongue or teeth). While Carter didn't cry long, he most definitely has a deep gash in his chin. Our neighbor (a doctor) came over to look, and he insisted Carter doesn't need stitches. But Scott is with him, as I write, at the Children's Hospital's after hours clinic so they can bandage our son up. I think Carter got the point that he needs to listen to his mommy. And I still feel like crying because it's always traumatic for a mom to see her child get injured.

Other than our bath catastrophe, our day went pretty well. It wasn't easy by any stretch, but I also didn't feel like pulling my hair out. The hardest part was balancing attention toward Carter and Grace. Carter wanted to be held this morning, and this would cause Grace to have a fit. Then I'd hold her a for while, and Carter would be upset. I know it will get a bit easier as Grace learns I can love them both, and Carter adjusts to the idea of us being back home for good.

The little guy didn't want to go to school today. He refused to get dressed, so I assumed he was delaying the journey to Mother's Day Out. I asked him if this was the case. He said, "Mmmhmm." My reply was, "I know you'd rather stay home with us, but you'll have fun at school. And you'll get bored running errands with me and your sister. Let's get you dressed and then we'll talk."

As soon as I pulled up his shorts, Carter said, "Talk?"
Me..."Okay bud, what do you want to talk about?"
"School."
"You don't want to go to school?"
"No. Home?"
"You want to stay home? How about you go to school for a little bit, and I'll pick you up early. I know you'll have a good time playing with your friends."

He ended up doing great. His teacher said he had fun and was well-behaved.

Grace fell asleep in the car while running errands, so she ended up not taking a nap. It was frustrating not to have any time to myself the entire day, but that's part of being a mom and dying to self.

Last night, as I laid next to Virginia Grace so she would fall asleep, I whispered, "Wo ai ni," which means "I love you." While I've said this to her many times, I've never gotten the reaction I got last night. Her eyes darted up to meet mine and lit up, and she gave me the biggest smile. A few seconds later, I repeated the words, and she looked back quickly and giggled with delight. I realized that she truly understood my words, and it was amazing to see her response!

Here are a few pics from this afternoon. I have a lot more pictures of Grace than Carter...my son has suddenly begun refusing to pose for the camera. Have we reached the "too cool stage" already??

11 comments:

Ericka B. Jackson said...

Oh! I LOVE the "I love you" story! How precious!!!

Maybe next time they both want to be held you could try a group snuggle? (this may be a horrible idea, I'm clueless and not a mom! haha!) but maybe the 3 of you could snuggle - one one each side/leg in a big chair, couch, etc and watch TV together or read or something? just a thought!

The Alexanders said...

Oh Kelley I am so sorry about Carter. I know that you are doing a GREAT job being a mom to two! They are both so blessed to have you and Scott as their parents. I love the picture of Carter and Grace on the couch...so cute! Oh and that story, the "I love you" story, tears! So precious!

Stefanie said...

Oh my, Grace is simply gorgeous!! What lovely pictures of your little one!
So sorry about Carter, the good news is the scars are cool on boys... We've got oodles of 'em around here ;)
You're really doing great, especially since you just got home! Things will only get easier :)

Prentices said...

These pictures are so cute! But my favorite is the one of the two of them lounging on the couch in the morning - so sweet to see them together as brother and sister.

If you get a "F" for today, it's for fantastic mom of a toddler boy who will think that scar is pretty cool one day.

Precious memory of "i love you" with Grace. I know she feels it from you every day - so glad she understood your words too.

Deann Scholl said...

I wrote while you were in China and I want you to know that I have continued to follow your blog. I find myself checking a million times to see if you have updated through the day (as if you don't have anything else to do)!! I am totally amazed at what you and your husband have accomplished and I absolutely think Grace is the most beautiful child I have ever seen. She has a baby doll face and the smiles on her are priceless. I love the story of "I love you" I know it truly warmed your heart. I am so sorry about precious Carter and I pray that things will get easier for you. It was very rough for me going from one to two, but I promise things get easier and easier. Thank you for contuining to blog your amazing journey.

Angie Davis said...

kelly...just found your blog through stacey p, and have spent over an hour boo-hooing ~ both in joy over your new little girl (congrats!), and over the grief that you have experienced over the years. thank you for sharing it all. the lord shines through your words! your life story is beautiful, and i'm interested to see the next chapters unfold!
(you may remember me as elizabeth raglands babysitter...years ago!)

Kim said...

With five kids who are now ages 4 - 13, not only can I promise you that it gets easier, I can promise you that one day you will long for the chance to relive any one of these crazy days when your babies are little.
As dear friend once gave me some precious advice when I was stressed about giving my first born enough of my attention after baby number 2 came along. She reminded me that the greatest gift we ever gave our first born son, was the gift of a sibling. God willing, they will have each other far longer than they will have us as parents here on earth.
Enjoy every moment!
Love & Blessings from Hong Kong,
Kim

Joel and Lee-Anne said...

Kelley - so sorry to hear about Carter's chin. You don't get an F.....it happens, children fall. Give yourself some "grace". :):) Enjoy this bitter sweet time- view Grace as a newborn- in the way that it took for you to adjust to having Carter home when he was firstborn. Expect tears, adjustment, middle-of-the-night awakenings (maybe even form Carter as he adjusts). It will soon pass.
You may already know this - but when we got home, someone told us to expect it to take a day for every hour time difference there was. So if China is 12 hours different, expect your bodies to take 12 days to recover.....again, back to the "grace".....you'll get there. :)

Design A-Peele said...

I think you're doing a great job! I love checking your blog each day to see what new things are happening with y'all. Hope today is a little easier for y'all!

Susan said...

I LOVE the couch picture!!!!!!! And teared up reading the "I love you" part. You are a great mom, Kelley! love you!

The Hoppers said...

When we had Judah, Lawson refused to have his picture taken for a while too. Maybe because we were taking so many of Judah? It's all good now, and he is a ham! I love the one of Grace and Carter on the couch.