4.09.2010

Just miles away....

This morning, we ate another delicious breakfast at the Intercontinental Hotel's breakfast buffet. I promise you, it was the most vast and varied display of food you've ever seen in your life. And one of my favorite choices was the fruit smoothies served in tall shot-like glasses. The mango banana smoothie was so good!


And this was the view out the window at breakfast. Breathtaking. I hated to leave this beautiful city. Even the view from the lobby was amazing.



We got to the airport by 9:30 am. And we were soon on our way to Kunming in the Yunnan province.


As we flew low over the surrounding area of Kunming and landed, I was listening to the song "Faithful" by Steven Curtis Chapman. The following thoughts flashed through my mind...

Developing a heart for China my sophomore year of college when I wanted to do a summer stint with Campus Crusade....Visiting an orphanage in Romania almost 7 years ago and knowing I wanted to adopt one day....telling my parents that I was going to adopt a little girl from China when I got married....praying that God would place Scott and me on the same page and give him the desire to adopt as well....Scott looking me in the eyes in November 2008 and telling me, "I'm ready...let's move forward."...Dreading the due date of the twins we miscarried and then God redeeming that day as we saw our Grace's face for the first time in referral pictures. God is so faithful. As the lyrics to the song pounded in my ears, the pilot flew our plane closer to the ground. My eyes scanned the land before me, wondering if Grace might be anywhere near. And as our plane touched down, I realized I was finally in China. We were finally in the city of my daughter's home, and most likely the location of her birth parents. The combination of recognizing God's faithfulness and being just a few miles away from Virginia Grace suddenly overwhelmed me with emotion, and tears began streaming. I can't believe we're here.

Our guide for the week, Hellen, greeted us outside of baggage claim. The driver took us to our hotel, and we spent the afternoon unpacking, getting settled, and resting. We ate dinner at the Bluebird Cafe, across the street from the hotel. It's definitely different being in mainland China as opposed to Hong Kong. The people here know a lot less English, so we've been trying to brush up on some basic Chinese questions and phrases.

A housekeeper brought a crib into our room earlier, and I place all Grace's dolls, toys, and blankets in there. I just keep staring at the empty crib in wonderment....we'll soon have a baby girl here with us!!! The guide said we will get her on Monday morning (Sunday night central time).

I would love to write more, but I am completely exhausted. I will write more tomorrow. Happy Friday to you!

19 comments:

Courtney said...

Anxiously waiting for updates!! So glad ya'll made it safely to Kunming. We hope you get some rest...Grace will be in your arms soon! We love you!

GLS said...

Kelley!! Helen was our guide in Kunming too!!! She is so sweet, yo will love her! Please tell her we said "hi". I'm so excited that you are finally there...it won't be long now!!

Prentices said...

Such an amazing journey...and you've been faithful as well to see it through. Love you and am so happy it's becoming reality!

Get some rest while you can!

Kim said...

What a beautiful summary of how God has carried you thus far. I can hardly wait to hear about your meeting with your chosen daughter.
Covering you in prayer from Hong Kong!
Love & Blessings,
Kim

Stefanie said...

Sooooo close!!
Can't wait until she is in your arms at last!
God is SO faithful!!

Ericka B. Jackson said...

HE IS FAITHFUL!!! I have tears in my eyes reading this!!!! Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful... soon the crib will be empty no more! Can't wait until you can kiss her sweet face!

Ashley said...

Oh Kelley, I don't even know you, but your post moved me to tears. Thank you. I have this feeling when we travel to get our Kate I will be all tears the majority of the time.

Have fun and thanks for letting us follow along!

- Ash2008 on RQ

The Scott family said...

Praying for your whole family! Love you! Rebecca

Noelle said...

We're really excited and watching for each update! Continuing to pray... much love!

Unknown said...

This is all so exciting! I'm sure you can hardly wait until Monday!

Sara said...

tears were streaming for me as I read your post! I am so excited for ya'll, and it is so cool to see God's faithful hand through it all.

Jimbo and Hayley said...

God is so faithful!!! So glad you arrived safely. Can't wait to see that sweet baby girl!! We are praying. Love you, Hayley

Jimbo and Hayley said...

God is so faithful!!! So glad you arrived safely. Can't wait to see that sweet baby girl!! We are praying. Love you, Hayley

Unknown said...

I am just so excited for you. It is all just too surreal! Praying that you have an amazing time with your husband this weekend!

Alicia said...

Praying for sweet Virginia Grace right now! Stay safe and cannot wait for you to meet her!! So close!!!!

Susan said...

I have tears too! You are going to be an amazing mom to Grace (and Scott an amazing dad)! I can picture you decorating her crib - makes me smile =) Been praying today for God's protection over Grace!!!

Stacey Carden said...

Yay! You're there! So fun to read about your journey so far! It looks and sounds like you guys are having a good time despite being so tired! I can't wait to see posts for the next few days when Grace will be with you finally! Love you!!!!

The Alexanders said...

YAY! I can not wait to see that first picture of Grace in your arms. I think about yall all the time and pray for Grace as she makes this transition. She is so blessed to have you and Scott as her parents.

e said...

oh my goodness! the thought of that crib just gives me chills!! your daughter's crib!!!