6.20.2010

Labor of Love


You might recall that I smocked this purple bunny dress for Virginia Grace to wear for Easter. We had believed we would be in China by then. Today was the first time she's worn it. To be honest, it's not my best work and I had so many cuter outfits for Grace to wear that we'd gotten from friends and family. But I got it out today because I had worked hard on it. And it ended up giving me so much joy to see my daughter wearing it. It brought back the memory of praying for Grace with each stitch, wondering if we'd ever really see her in person, and hoping desperately for the day to arrive soon when we'd receive our travel approval and begin booking our flights. I have to say it was surreal to look at the detail of the dress, and then to look up at the smiling face of the little girl wearing it. That dress took time and hard work (and it's really not all that cute), but it's a beautiful reminder of how far God has brought us in the last few months.
Sorry for overdoing it with the pics, but I sometimes love to see a whole sequence of pictures
together because it's so humourous to see the range of expressions. :)

Hiding his face to communicate he's done with the pics. :)

The REAL labor of love I want to discuss is that of my husband. It's been a big weekend with his birthday yesterday and Father's Day today. But it's been easy to devote a weekend of celebration to him and for him. The guy works hard. At everything. In his career, as a husband, as a daddy, as a bible study teacher, as a follower of Christ, as a brother, as a son, and as a friend. He's committed, selfless, and loving, and he is a man of the highest integrity. Sometimes I am even embarrassed because I want to cut a corner and he challenges me to do it right. He's a far better person than me. And his life isn't easy right now. He works long hours at the office only to come home and work a few more hours helping me with the kids and doing a few things around the house. With a demanding profession and a never-ending flood of deadlines, he still comes home to spend time with his family, even if it means heading back to the office after the kids' bedtime to work until 2 am. The amazing thing is that he does it without complaining or moping. And I know it's because he loves us. That's a love to honor and celebrate!
Happy Birthday AND Happy Father's Day, Scott!! We love you beyond measure and recognize all you do for us!

Love,
Kelley, Carter & Virginia Grace


6 comments:

A Cup of Cold Water said...

kelley, oh my goodness the dress is beautiful!! now i am wondering if you have made all of the smocked outfits i've seen on both children through the months. and other outfits i have seen that i can tell are handmade! i too sew but have never had lessons and so the more difficult things i do not know how to do. i love the dress!

erika

Joel and Lee-Anne said...

Kelley LOVE THIS post and that precious dress!!! How sweet of you to take the time to SMOCK.....:)
We are waiting on our TA - it cannot come soon enough if you know what I mean. We are thinking it might come the week of July 4 and we might travel the end of July- of course, His timing, not ours right? Ready to bring our Norah home.
I have so appreciated reading your blog and your willingness to share the good and the hard - reminding me of the challenges ahead of transition, bonding and life with a new little one.
Have a great week!!

Annie said...

The smocking is beautiful! I am really impressed with that detailed work. Really really precious!

Melissa said...

whatev.

that dress is awesome, and you know it. you smock like a champ, and i was so impressed by your fluffing of those bunnies. way over my head.

missed you last night!

Ericka B. Jackson said...

Oh Kelley I thought the dress was BEAUTIFUL! I could never have the patience for that much detail! I know it was made with so much love.

And thanks for sharing all the pictures - both of the kiddos are so precious and I love seeing all their little expressions too!

katie said...

Happy belated birthday, Scott. Great lesson on Sunday!!