6.08.2010

Seeing Through the Tears

Two days ago, a close friend shared her exciting news of being 12 weeks pregnant with their first child! Our circle of friends was whooping, squealing, and celebrating this precious life.

This morning, she found out that she has miscarried. When I read her message, my heart sank to my stomach. Even though I've lost 5 babies through 4 miscarriages, I felt like my world was rocked at the discovery of my sweet friend's loss. How could this happen? Why is life so unfair? I feel shocked and burdened with sadness for her and her husband.

I didn't deal well with my grief in all of the losses (see "A Beautiful Mess" post on sidebar). But a few verses that comforted me daily after losing the twins last year were Lamentations 3:22-23. The entire chapter is refreshing, but these two verses were like drops of water to a dehydrated soul.

"The unfailing love of the Lord never ends! By his mercies we have been kept from complete destruction. Great is His faithfulness. His mercies begin afresh each day."

Each morning when I opened my eyes, I would feel crushed as the weight of the loss rushed into my consciousness. But these verses of Scripture reminded me to search for His mercies. Every day, there was something to carry me through until I fell asleep that evening. It might be an encouraging note from a friend. Or a funny commercial that made me laugh. Or the sight of a beautiful hummingbird hovering outside my kitchen window. Each day, God faithfully delivered a sign of beauty, hope, love, or joy. Even through the sorrow and tears, I could see His hand pulling me forward one step at a time. We didn't need to go faster. Just morning by morning. And that's what kept me moving forward.

I pray that my dear friend will be comforted by His daily mercies as well. The pain may still linger for awhile, and there may be tears on her pillow at night, but joy comes in the morning. Great is His faithfulness.

2 comments:

Sarah Armstrong said...

Amen and amen!

I am loving seeing pictures of your sweet family of four - Virginia Grace is absolutely adorable.

Everything Beautiful Shay said...

I will pray for you friend. I too have lost two babies through miscarriage and still birth. You are right... it is a daily journey. Love the scripture you shared.
Blessings,
Sharon