6.22.2011

Update on the Kiddos

It's been a while since I've posted what the kids have been up to, so here are some highlights from the last couple of months....

Meeting the Imagination Movers!!! Carter adores these guys, and he was absolutely thrilled to don a movers jumpsuit just like his idol, Mover Dave.
For the ridiculous amount I paid for this cool get-up, it better be Carter's Halloween costume too.
But I have to say, Carter's expression was priceless as he walked around in his Movers suit. He wears it often, even a month later.
The crazy mom that I am (we're talking crazy for the movers...Scott and I both enjoy their songs), I not only bought tickets to their concert.
But I also paid a pretty penny to purchase the Mini Movers Package which included the Movers After-show Party.

It was well worth it! These guys are a neat bunch, and they made a point to tell people individually how much they appreciated them coming to the concert event. (This is Mover Scott singing to Carter.
We actually flew to Raleigh, North Carolina for the concert and timed it with a visit to my parents who live in Cary. It was Grace's first trip to their house, and both kids had a ball. My mom took us to the Marbles Museum and it was a big hit. It's similar to Birmingham's McWane Center, but it seemed to have more activities for pre-K kids. If you're ever in the Raleigh/Durham area and need something to do with your kids, check this place out. Here are just a few things they have to explore....

A pirate ship
crafts
a dress-up station with a stage to perform
Surf boards that wiggle so the kids have to balance themselves
Rock-climbing
"Ice" hockey (Carter's favorite)
A vet hospital where Grace lovingly cared for a pig
Grace's highlight of the trip was riding the 25 cent cars at the mall.
I thought she would enjoy the concert since she likes watching the Movers on Disney, but she got very agitated and fussy. I think the experience was a little over-stimulating for her. She does so well that I forget her brain still struggles with multi-sensory environments at times. Luckily, we didn't have any night terrors after.
After being in NC for almost a week, we headed to the lake to celebrate my grandmother's 93rd birthday, which I've posted about. Carter and Grace absolutely love going to Lake Martin. And they especially love driving the boat with Papa.
And finally, here a few funny things they've said recently:

Carter was telling Grace and me about watching the world's strongest man competition on TV with Daddy. He flexed his muscles and then said, "I am a strong man. But Grace, you're a little woman." And Grace responded with dismay, "No! I'm a princess!

Carter has left the questioning phase and Grace has swiftly entered it. He's now realized how annoying it can be when someone repeatedly follows up an answer with more questions, or when an inquiry is asked multiple times. Last week, Grace was asking her brother something and said, "Why, why, why Guhguh?"
And Carter said with exasperation, "Grace, you only have to say why one time. And when I tell you why, just say okay!"

Grace talking to our dog, Jackon.."You going to China? No? Not going to China? Oh...okay."

Carter..."That's going to be a long time." Or "that's going to be very hard." (He usually says this in response to the command to stay in bed until the sun comes up, or when told to behave the entire day.)

We've learned that Carter is also a master at negotiating. And he knows how to manipulate his questions. As in, "Did I mostly behave today?"

Grace's favorite question lately is "Are you happy?" She'll ask it at any given time. But she now mostly asks it after I correct or discipline her. She doesn't like for anyone to be angry or upset with her.

We leave for China tomorrow!!! SO hard to believe. I'll schedule a few posts to hold you over until we reach our destination on Friday evening (which will be Friday morning here in the US). :)


5 comments:

Julie said...

Praying for your trip!

Beth Goff said...

Girl I feel you.... I feel like when I bought Karoline's Rapunzel dress I was paying for her wedding dress and all we did for her to meet her at Disney.... well, you do lots of crazy thing for your kids :) It's totally worth it!! Praying for your trip!

Katie said...

they are just precious!!!!!!!!

JJ said...

wow, round 2! have an amazing time and I'll just dream that I am with you again! :) love ya'll and can't wait for an update!

Unknown said...

Hey Kelley! So excited y'all are in China! I am behind on blog reading! I SO with I had known you were in Raleigh, we are only two hours from there! I would have loved to come and meet you! We are planning a trip to Marbles in two weeks! Looks like alot of fun! Have a wonderful trip! Cannot wait to see pictures of your new family of five!
p.s. message me next time you are in Raleigh, would love to see ya!!