6.26.2011

Quick update in snapshots and captions

Our guide, David, has just been the best. He is so good with the kids. He is very considerate of LiYun and checks in on how she is doing leading up to Gotcha Day. And he has spent a great deal of time with us, especially taking us to fantastic Chinese restaurants where he orders for us. We have thoroughly been enjoying the food. Yesterday (Sunday), he took us to a place called Xiang Jiang Hui which is essentially a tapas restaurant. Because he knows the manager, we were given a private little room (which was a huge blessing given that Carter ended up having some meltdowns.)

We enjoyed several different kinds of dumplings...this one was pork and shrimp.

Pan-fried vegetable dumplings...

Mushrooms in a wanton wrapper (delicious!)...

Fresh cucumbers soaked in a savory, spicy sauce

...and more. You can see how much the kids love David.

We spent Sunday morning at People's Park...a park with a lake, amusements rides, and all kinds of fun for kids.


The kids' favorite activity at the park was these harnesses that allowed them to jump super high on trampolines.

Thanks to my sister-in-law Noelle for taking a lot of these great pictures!




Carter and Grace attracted attention everywhere, and we were stopped frequently by moms who wanted to take pictures of their child with them! :)

A car ride at the park


Feeding the fish at People's Park


This sweet little boy wanted to hold Grace's hand.


We knew that Carter would be quite the celebrity with his curls and blue eyes. At the park while jumping around on some large rocks, his "performance" suddenly triggered a crowd frenzy. Nearly 30 people gathered in less than 15 seconds, murmuring, snapping pictures, and pointing and wondering. One Chinese lady said to me, "You are very lucky to have such a beautiful, little guy."


A vendor area near People's Park

The kids bought these solar cooling hats which have fans that start spinning when the sun hits the solar panel.

We've been thankful to have some down-time in the hotel room so we could rest up and fight the jet-lag. Here, Grace was balancing on Scott's back. She's been putting on, in her words, "tiny shows."

We have been watching movies, playing games, and skyping with the grandparents.




A view of Nanning at night

LiYun's foster mom had called David yesterday morning to say she was doing okay but had cried a bit in her room the night before. She realizes the magnitude of what is happening and it's just hitting her that she is having to say goodbye to her foster family, friends, and all she knows. To be honest, I am thankful she is grieving a bit rather than just ignoring her emotions.

While we were in the van on the way back to the hotel, LiYun called David on his cell phone. My heart did flips when I realized it was her on the phone! She was telling David that she was doing okay. And she wanted to know if we looked pretty in person. :) He was going to call her back after we were dropped off, as we were literally pulling up to the hotel. I wonder what all he told her about the Brown clan. :) But it was so crazy to be that "close" to her. I felt like how I did on my wedding day when I wasn't supposed to see Scott yet but he was right on the other side of the door.

We did learn that we'll be able to skype with the foster parents after we return home to the US, so that should be helpful for LiYun, especially in allowing her to keep up her Mandarin.

It's Monday morning here, and we won't leave for the civil affairs office until 3 pm. I've been praying for her nonstop. And I have been so touched by all of you who are praying as well...people I don't even know but who care about our daughter and truly desire for her to have a smooth transition. Thank you!

I'll be back with pictures and an update in 24 hours! Wow! I just got really giddy! :)

17 comments:

Amy said...

Kelley...I'm awaiting your Gotcha Day pictures/description with baited breath! God is doing a wonderful thing here! Blessings!

Deann Scholl said...

Kelley...I have been anxiously awaiting this update all day...oh how excited and nervous you must be!!! The pictures of the kids are great and what an incredible experience for all of you. Oh I cannot wait for 24 hours to pass by to read the next post!! I am saying extra prayers for ALL of you and especially Liyun as she begins this new journey. I agree that I am glad she is showing emotoin and how sweet that she wanted to know if yall were pretty! So cute...Oh I am just busting with excitement and cannot wait to read the next post. Love and prayers!!!!!

Alicia said...

Our prayers are with you all.

Cindy said...

I cannot wait to see your family of 5! I will be praying especially for LiYun. She is a special girl.

Brooke said...

Hi Kelley! Mary Louis "introduced" me to you a year or so ago after finding out that my husband and I were planning on adopting. I've happily followed every since, but don't think I've ever commented. I am so very excited and happy for you and your family, and I've been praying for you all and LiYun non stop! She is going to LOVE ya'll and I know you already adore her!! I will say a special prayer tonight for a peaceful and happy Gotcha-Day. Can't wait to read all your updates and see your beautiful pictures!! With love...

Mike and Barb said...

Another blog lurker de-lurking :-). I'm so happy for your family, and am praying for much strength for all of you. What a huge, huge step, and I'm so happy to know that you're preparing for this moment in prayer!
Barb

Rachel said...

Saw your post on RQ, I think you're about 2 hours from meeting your daughter. Just wanted you to know that I just prayed for peace for all of you and a smooth transition for your sweet girl. Congrats on your growing family!

The Drinkwaters said...

Hi Kelley,

I found your post on China Adopt Talk, and wanted to leave a quick comment for you. We too, had David as a guide while we were in China adopting our first daughter in 2009. We absolutely love him and he was instrumental in helping us have a wonderful trip in Province. I was so pleased to see you are receiving the same support and care.

We will be thinking of your first meeting with LiYun tomorrow and hoping the transition goes smoothly.

Joyanne, a fellow Guangxi Mama

Thornton's Well said...

We are praying, what a blessing for Noelle to be able to go with you guys. We cannot wait to meet Caroline and are praying for her heart, the transition bonding and your hearts too. Love you friend. God is good.

Blake said...

Love and prayers.....Can't wait to see pictureS!!!

Blake said...

oops! that was me, brittany -- not blake;)

Stephanie said...

So excited for you all!

Kelly said...

Just want you to know that God woke me up about 1 am Eastern time with Caroline on my heart. I prayed for her fears right then and there. Praying all is going well.

Kelly

GLS said...

Our prayers are with you. We can't wait for your next post!

Carrie and Jordan said...

LOVE the updates. Praying for all of you:)

Michael & Joy said...

Praying for you all!
We were just there in March, and also had David as a guide. He is AMAZING! He will be such good support for you and Caroline. On a side note, the best food we had in China was our meals with David, he took us to his favorite places. Highlights of our trip.

Jennifer said...

Hey Kelley...i know it is nighttime and cant help but think about our first bedtime with Alice there in China...I am praying for sweet rest for your whole family as you have your first nighttime together...lifting you up right now. Jennifer