6.24.2011

We're Here

It's 1:35 am on Saturday morning here in Nanning, China. After 27+ hours of traveling, we are thankful to be settling into our hotel room.

The kids did very well for such a long journey. We even sat on the ground in Chicago for two hours before we actually took off on the 14 hour flight. But they slept a good bit and only fussed between Hong Kong and Nanning because they were so tired.

Our guide, David, met us at the airport and took us to our hotel which was an hour away. He gave us a lot of information on the way, and we were able to ask many questions. First of all, we learned that LiYun did not find out we were coming this weekend until LAST night!! She has known since October that we were adopting her, but I thought she would have more notice of the exact dates we would be coming. David said he had planned to arrange for us to meet her sooner (like on Sunday), but when he talked to her and heard how nervous she sounded, he decided it was best to let her spend the whole weekend with her foster family. I agree with that decision whole-heartedly, as anxious as we are to meet her.

David said LiYun is most nervous about her English not being good (he confirmed that she does indeed know some!) and also anxious about not knowing what she should do or not do. He reassured her that we will be patient and do not mind her asking us questions. But my heart ached a little to know that her sweet mind is worrying about these things. We also learned that LiYun was adopted domestically by a Nanning family about 6 years ago! This was recent news to our guide too. Anyway, LiYun missed her foster family so much that she ended going back to them after just 2 weeks.

So I won't lie...I am a bit nervous that she could change her mind on Monday. But David says he doesn't see that happening. Apparently, she has been talking about her new family quite a bit. She is excited to come to America. And she even asked David if he could bring us to her school to meet her friends so she could show them her forever family! He said after this statement, "She is a sweet girl." Oh, how that warms my heart that she wants us to meet her friends!

She also asked if she can call her foster parents from the hotel this next week. And of course, we are fine with this. They have been her family for 7 years. We learned that she is the youngest one in the foster home. Nanning SWI only allows one foster child per family (which is not the norm in other provinces), and the couple's biological child is 23 or 24 years olds. (He thought they might even have two older children).

Gotcha Day will be Monday as planned, but we won't meet her until the afternoon. The civil affairs office is processing the adoptions of all the younger kids and babies during the morning. So Monday morning will be a slow one for sure. And that also means that you won't get a blog update until Monday morning instead of Sunday night. Boo...I know. :)

I have more pics and details to post, but I need to get in bed. It's now 2:08 am. The internet is just really really slow!! So more to come. But please be praying for LiYun, that God would replace her anxiety with peace. And that even in the midst of grieving the loss of her foster family and all the changes coming up, she will immediately feel comfortable in our family. Oh yes! I forgot...she said she wants to be a big helper with Carter and Grace. :)

If LiYun were to ultimately decide to stay in China, we would be heartbroken. Mostly because we know much more than she does that her future here is not bright for orphans. But we would understand. If the foster familiy were suddenly able to adopt her, I would see that as a great option for her. But from what the foster mom has said, that situation is not likely. Please pray that God's will would be done, no matter how difficult it is for her or for us. He has a great plan for this child's life....I know it. And I pray with an earnest heart that we are a part of it.

Sweet dreams, and more tomorrow.

Love,
Kelley

19 comments:

GLS said...

I was so happy to see your post! We'll be praying for you all!

Cheri said...

Thinking of you all!

Go and Tell said...

Kelley, I am praying for all of you! I know this will be a long, tiring, emotional trip. Praying for peace as you trust in the Lord and His will!
Meg

The Alexanders said...

Kelley- We will be praying for all of you. Sending lots of love your way.

Lindsey said...

Glad to see y'all made it without too much trouble. Praying, praying, PRAYING!!

Shonni said...

I’m so glad to read your update and praying for ya’ll.

Deann Scholl said...

So happy to see your updated post and to hear that you all made it safely. I know how exhausted you must be already and I pray that you will all get some rest and that God will guide you through the rest of this journey. I am so excited for your family and look forward to the next update!!

Deann

Kelly said...

Praying for your precious family and for your daughter's heart that it is being prepared to meet you all!

Kelly

The Mom said...

As I read your post, I immediately thought of the scripture, "O Lord, you have searched me and known me; you know my sitting down and my rising up; you understand my thoughts from afar off. You comprehend my path and my lying down, and are acquainted with all my ways...you hedge me in behind and before, and have laid your hand upon me..." KJV of Psalm 139:1-5. God knows all and He has the master plan for your family. I encourage you to rest in His wisdom and the goodness of His plan; and know that in the meantime we will be praying for you and your newest addition to the family.

Pam and Bob said...

We will certainly be in prayer for you all. Hope you all can rest well. It was a long day to be met with such news. I'm sure everyone's clock is messed up. Good to read that the children traveled well despite the airline difficulties. That in itself is a huge blessing.

Martha said...

Hey Kelley! Glad y'all made it safely. We'll be praying and are excited to hear about Gotcha Day!

The Fokens Family said...

Go get your girl! Praying for you on the journey!

Design A-Peele said...

wow! so exciting! I haven't checked-in in a few months. Been a little busy with our newly adopted son. But I am SOOO excited for y'all! Praying for your time there :)

Julie said...

Praying!

Kris said...

Hoping all goes well on Gotcha Day...will be checking in on the blog lots over the next few days.

Cindy said...

Glad you all are there safe. I cannot imagine all the emotions for both you all and Caroline. Praying that God gives her the peace she needs.

Lauren said...

I know we don't know each other. I just ran into your blog through a friend's blog...I don't even know which one. Anyway, I've been following for a while. You have a beautiful story. After reading this post, I couldn't even sleep last night! I woke up constantly praying for y'all and for Caroline...that was between my dreams about Caroline! Just wanted you to know that you have even more people than you know praying :)

Ericka B. Jackson said...

Praying that God's presence is thick around you all, and LiYun! Praying for peace that passes understanding in the midst of such life-changing decisions, and a supernatural bond between you all. Much love and hugs!

If These Walls Could Talk... said...

Kelley,
I am so excited for all of you. It is wonderful that the kids got to go with you and Scott. I am so glad that the flights went well. I cannot imagine!!! I will be praying for LiYun and for ya'll. I will pray that God will grant her peace with her new family. Can't wait to see you all together.
Ashley Fairley